User Tag List

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree1388Likes

Thread: April 2017 Frugal Chater All Welcome

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

It was nice to have a week with very minimal shopping - just some TP, tuna, veg, bread.

Have a great day, all!

Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    To catch up on a few past topics.

Angela I find family and babysitting extremely hard to balance. My family has large gaps in age and I am the oldest and a girl which made me the prime babysitter which was fine except when it started to interfere with my paying part time job. I did finally have to draw a line that the hours I was available were and everyone had to respect my set hours at my part time job and I would not be changing my hours to babysit for family. It took some time and a few times I did babysit for them leaving them stranded as they put it because I was asked last minute and the times they needed me would interfere with my part time job but it was the only way to make them see I was not there at their beck and call.

JNC as for family being frugal that is not my family at all they are actually quite the opposite. I think it is fair to say my family does not get my frugal ways. Great example was our family vacation prior to going I spent approximately $100 on new summer tops as I literally had not summer tops as we could not afford new clothes last year. For $100 I got a bathing suit and 5 tops and I was freaking out that I spent that much money vs my family who were shopping in the US with the exchange rate and dropping $100 was nothing to them didn't even blink.

As for blogs there are not many I follow regularly I found most of the ones I used to follow have changed or pushed it too far. As much as I love a good deal I do take issue with people who abuse the system or those who do it because they can (I remember seeing one blog post where a woman got a ridiculous amount of diapers for next to nothing for her to point out at the end she does not have children and will never have children and no she wouldn't not donate or give the diapers away as she felt people should learn from her and do it themselves but they were free so she would keep them, reminded me a bit too much of extreme couponers and why I stopped watching). I think some bloggers do have good ideas but I have noticed recently it almost feels like a lot are about the shock value not actually living a balanced life. I personally much prefer what I see on Smartcanucks

JNC family oh how families can be fun. Both sides of my families have their issues and this goes back to childhood with my family and one both sides we have family members who do not speak for various reasons but most of them being how certain members act. I can say now we have gotten to a point where we know certain family members are not invited to holidays and to be honest I feel it works for everyone involved as we have had some very volatile holidays in my family. I think each person needs to make their own choices and although others may not agree it does seem your whole household feels the same and as hard as it is it does not appear your parents will ever see there wrong doing and that is something they will have to live with.
    Angela273, JadeAngel, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@lizzie bargain @Angela273 @Ciel @coupon girl thank you everyone for your advice, family is not easy to deal with especially when they don't care what they say or how they say it.
    @Angela273 congrats to your son on his winning
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Good Morning everyone,

Thanks for all the advice it's greatly appreciated. I feel like unplugging the phone Friday night which I have done in the past.

I find it mentally draining to be completely honest & with my health issues I just can't tolerate it.

I know what I have to do or say but just want to crawl under a rock and hide, my mood has been extremely low and I don't lie so I may just be honest and tell them I'm just not up to it BUT I know they will come up with every excuse to still come.

Laundry is washed and hanging to dry.

Supper tonight is polish pork chops w/ rice and bean salad.

Wishing everyone a great day/evening
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We tried to pick up our son's prize, but the mall office was closed and I don't know why. We didn't a small amount of shopping and still no one returned to the office, so we'll try again tomorrow. We went to Canadian Tire for the $200 promotion, we spent exactly enough before taxes in order to get the $50gc. I don't know what we'll spend the $50 on, but we won't mess it up like last year.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I had good timing and was first to message regarding this kids picnic table. I bought it for $5.
    Name:  IMG_3747.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  350.0 KB
    JadeAngel, Ciel, lilo0003 and 3 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Oh that rain-did not know Hamilton got soaked very thoroughly until I read the Weather Network's coverage on their website this morning. I did venture out at suppertime and got soaked two times. Saw the fine hail as well. Hope the flowers and fruit trees do not suffer as a result. Did find an empty beer can so got that returned and popped into Fortinos and Shoppers for small things and walked back. Yes, I did have laundry-the mesh shoes, coat, pants, and socks (was wet from thighs down and shoulders of sweater and top got wet under the winter jacket as well).

Managed to take apart the black floral print silk shirt yesterday-now the quest is to find a pattern I have to use the fabric to make a summer top. One of my purchased tops was a Tall Girl cotton/nylon black shirt with lovely silver large knot buttons ($4! saves me bus rides to Mississauga at $20+ in fares)-it's a keeper though I did contemplate taking it apart too to combine with the silk (both tops are similarly lightweight fabrics) but since the TG shirt has a long back, it will go well with the black pants with low rise waistband. The three t-shirts (one purple-women's and two in dk navy and black in men's) are folded and put away for warmer days though I was not able to get the fabric freshner smell out completely (will wait for a warm day and hang tops inside out on the clothesline to see if that solves the issue).

Likely will return to Burlington for a shop with Mom on Monday for last things for her trip. I better bring something to read so we don't have words if she lingers without buying anything in the mall.

Back to the topic of difficult family members-as a young female, there seemed to be so much pressure from older adult women to make younger females workhorses (making food, cleaning up, being polite even if male siblings coasted or did nothing when guests came) but not much was said about stopping verbal abuse or rudeness from males (except if a parent wanted to ensure their daughter was not sexual with anyone before she was on her own (supporting self and own residence) and responsible for any outcomes or married). But crossing 40 years of age certainly has made me something of a stand-my-ground adult and I do not let too much slide anymore. I have also heard some stories secondhand in recent years about adult relatives (male) and their dealings with the females in their lives (spouses or non-spouses). Definitely some relationship skeletons but knowing this information now correlates with the tone of comments directed by uncles to their wives that I heard as a child and teen. What a loss to humanity that some adults just did not know how to respect people and let the next generation hear the rancor and sarcasm. I do not recall Dad or other uncles saying that kind of talk was rude by their male relations nor state that they did not want that kind of behaviour or else no more visiting.
    It's safe to say you have to be your best defense against people who want to drain you for whatever reason. Wish that part of the life curriculum was taught in teenhood but even my folks differed on how to handle difficult people (and Dad was no gentleman).At least now schools do cover bullying and relationships to help students be aware that words and tones do matter--in case parents don't cover that matter themselves.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Apr 21st, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

tired still have a cough -managed to pop out to freshco in the morning as hubby watched ashlyn for an hour for me i spent 88.77-cause i got my first scop of the year on coffee cream so 3.39 -i just spent a lot 8 days ago but then again easter you may always spend as bit more when you are hosting for sure -saved 2.00 in cpns and 2.50 from checkout51

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Date night is on. I actually planned the meal tonight since I was off. Steak. Baked potato. Mushrooms and onions. Garlic bread and cheese. Will make up a Tupperware container for the teen. Pretty good leftovers! Off to clean kitchen and pour another glass of wine ☺

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone,
    Oh what a week, I really feel like I am struggling to get back into my routine ever since returning from Vacation and yesterday morning I really felt sick. Good news was turned out to be a workable sick I was able to work from home as I really cannot afford a day off right now as I am swamped with work. Not sure what I had but by Noon was starting to come around and feel better.

Woke up to an email from Dad asking me to come and help, one of our locations is moving into a new building and they need help with setting up their office. I was asked to come Monday morning but I am already helping another location Monday so Monday night after work I will head out and hopefully we can get their office up and running in 1 day as Wednesday is their Open House.

So much to get done around the house today, I am just waiting for Mom to leave for work so I have the house to myself to just get done what I need to do.

We really did not need much in the way of groceries this week but we did need Milk so I grabbed that plus a few other items all of which were on sale. I grabbed Mom a loaf of bread, a package of Everything Bagels, a package of Sausage Buns and Butter. I did not see the Butter in the flyer but when I turned the corner there was a whole big bunker so I grabbed 2 as I knew we were low at home. All and all groceries last week were under $20.

Well I wait for Mom to leave I am going to go put a boarder on the pillow front I finished crocheting and then if I still have time might try to get some work done. Have a wonderful day everyone.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sunny day and somewhat warm-what a lovely treat for enduring Thursday showers and that greyness!

Am looking online for clothing gift ideas and have narrowed down choices to some things I expect to find at the mall on Monday. Unfortunately I don't have photos of gift recipients to get their sizes/builds and two more gifts have been added to the request list-best guesses will choose the items!

This morning, I made a pot of curried lentil stew. Seems everyone at home has a throat tickle or chesty cough. I also made some Lipton's chicken and vegetable soup mix up with added lemon juice and minced ginger and dried basil. The lemon gives a good kick-I almost thought it was the lemon chicken soup had at Greek restaurants. Not sure if I will make a chiffon cake or some cupcakes-need some baking. Amazingly, I still have some of each of the two Haagen Daaz Spirit ice creams left over from last weekend so they will be enjoyed during this warm weekend.

Silk top news-decided to stitch the two fronts together so I was able to have two layers to cut as wrap fronts for a top (another blouse MacGyver attempt as pattern is for jersey knit fabrics but the shirt is woven-will end up adding a 1/2 inch to the back centre and front centres to gain some ease). I don't have fabric to make a back and am holding off on taking my black knit top to the cutting table to use it. The shirt sleeves-I kept the finished notched hems and use the pattern piece to cut the sleeves down a little to the required size. Am happy I got that much figured out!

Supposedly will stitch Mom a top or skirt or dress-I am thinking our cool days will likely surface on her holiday and she needs something warm too.

Have a Super Saturday everyone!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Bf bought a load of wood for our fireplace.

I think this summer im going to suggest we get out and cut some on our own so the cost is less.

We bought our paint for the old house now too.

Hope everyone one had a good easter!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well our eavestrough needed fixed as it was half hanging off (banging everytime we had high winds too)-I sure didn't want to climb a ladder 25 feet up either since my fall this winter and hubby is afraid of the how high it was -good news he asked to workers that were working on a house nearby if they could come and look at our problem ,they came and fixed it and hubby went to pay them no thank you they said and gave us their card -wow nice deed of the day

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Pretty productive day here. I took either 5 or 6 trips to the dumpster/recycling area. I got rid of multiple boxes of papers as well as all the recycling from the laundry room.

I cleaned the bathroom (except the floor didn't get that done yet, there is is always tomorrow). As well did our every day laundry plus some laundry on some items of clothing we are going to post for sale, as well as some of my winter clothes I am hoping to pack away, mostly sweaters. I got the load of Darks done but ran out of hanging room so Pinks/Purples and Whites/Lights will have to wait for another day. Since most of it will hang I might turn the washer on before work and just hang when I get home but that will have to be later in the week since I am now gone the start of the week.

I was hoping to get a number of items posted today but I was all over the house and only got a few photos taken so maybe tomorrow will be posting day. We will have to see, I hate to post a number of items right when I am heading out of town for a few days but on the flip side it looks like another project is coming down which will keep me home for another month.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful night

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

It's chilly but i am enjoying our new outdoor fireplace and my new iPad. I had a very old one of DHs and it has always been a bit persnickety after a screen was replaced so DH encouraged me to replace it. He knows how I hate spending money. But pointed out how big our tax refund was because of all my saving for the kitchen. I actually feel pretty good about how much we have saved and I am sure it will all be covered by the money saved. One month until start.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information