User Tag List

Page 196 of 226 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 3376
Like Tree9214Likes

Thread: Last thing you baked?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Fantastic looking buns, I'm going to have to try to make some. Are they difficult?

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

not at all! i gave up on baking a long time ago then came corona virus, people were making sour dough bread, but i have a large 10kg bag of all purpose (AP) flour and experimented with making buns and breads. a lot of recipes out there ask for bread flour but i don't have any and finally found recipes that use AP flour. You can knead by hands or by machine; I tried both and they all work.
    Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    Fantastic looking buns, I'm going to have to try to make some. Are they difficult?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    not at all! i gave up on baking a long time ago then came corona virus, people were making sour dough bread, but i have a large 10kg bag of all purpose (AP) flour and experimented with making buns and breads. a lot of recipes out there ask for bread flour but i don't have any and finally found recipes that use AP flour. You can knead by hands or by machine; I tried both and they all work.
    Thanks and sounds like you've found a great hobby. I have a bread maker and have used it to make buns, foccacia bread etc. I never bothered with bread machine flour, I just made sure the dough had a bit extra time to rise. Ironically, I stopped baking during COVID but you've inspired me. I really like the idea of stuffing the buns with beef or cheese. Is there there a recipe website you can recommend for those stuffed buns?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    i've been using recipes from a youtuber (savor easy) here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4sHj52Qbm8
    i've made several bread recipes including the donuts and they all turned out awesome. Hope you have the same success.
    i mostly use my kitchenaid mixer to knead as i don't like kneading and my wrists do not like that. that being said, i did tried her eggless buns and knead that sucker by hands for 3-5 mins so i could show my MIL that it worked, her comment was they look good like parker house rolls and my hubby couldn't tell that they were missing eggs. My FIL is allergic to eggs; I tried the recipe so i can make the buns the next time we get to go visit them when the pandemic is over. Sorry for the long story
    cath007 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

i used recipes from this youtuber (PY's Kitchen) for stuffed buns and this youtuber (savor easy) for other dinner rolls, buns and breads.
    chinese bbq pork or cha siu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CZRl_enh68&t=261s
    i only made the cha siu because i had leftover pork loin but to save me time i think next time i'll just buy some from the local shop.
    cha siu buns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UslF...index=29&t=257
    for the cha siu buns the baker made 8 buns but i made 10 buns and stuff with 2 tbs of pork filling per bun. We found the size was right for us.
    because i have leftover cha siu, i'll be making more buns but using a different bread recipe because the recipe from above requires you to make a Tangzhong or starter dough. I honestly don't think a starter dough is needed plus i want to save myself some time. BTW i'm not chinese so just winging it all

Heck, i think you can stuff the buns with any kind of fillings you desire from savory (chicken, beef, etc.) to sweet like bean and coconut pastes, chocolates. I tried some buns stuffed with Boursin cheese because i got the cheese for free; my hubby said they were good but because Boursin cheese had tiny pieces of dried apple they left a gritty texture inside the buns while the cheese all melted into the dough FYI, i have been doing a lot of baking but my hubby and family did most the eating. I usually only eat a few bites to understand the recipe and to make adjustments.
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by crafter View Post
    Thanks and sounds like you've found a great hobby. I have a bread maker and have used it to make buns, foccacia bread etc. I never bothered with bread machine flour, I just made sure the dough had a bit extra time to rise. Ironically, I stopped baking during COVID but you've inspired me. I really like the idea of stuffing the buns with beef or cheese. Is there there a recipe website you can recommend for those stuffed buns?
    Last edited by Purdee; Sun, Apr 4th, 2021 at 03:30 PM.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

When the dough does not rise; it can be disheartening, frustrating and that were the reasons i gave up on baking.
    A few things i learned and hope they help you with your baking:
    • because baking in the winter in Canada (Edmonton is where I live) can be different than someone who lives in Asia, so I found that if i put my dough in a greased bowl, covered with a tea towel then in my oven with the oven light on, it rises nicely vs on my counter top.
    • dry active yeast require time to "bloom" or foam up in liquid before using; instant yeast can be mixed in directly to the dry & wet ingredients. i prefer instant yeast
    Last edited by Purdee; Sun, Apr 4th, 2021 at 03:53 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @Purdee !! I finally made my first 2 loaves of the sweet condensed bread. I had only 1 can of the milk in my stockroom so thought I'd give this a try. I cheated a little though, I inserted the dough hooks into my Oster Kitchen Centre to do all the kneading as my carpel tunnel would have flared if I went at this by hand.

I think the guys will love this bread!

Attachment 367730
    @walkonby the look amazing will be giving this a try next weekend
    walkonby, cath007 and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I made lemonade (https://natashaskitchen.com/lemonade-recipe/)
    I had a bag of citrus to use (purchased too much and was looking for the most cheap recepie) I like the fact that it is a sirup you put when you are ready to make it
    SnowFlakey and SassyAshley like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

I made hellmans patatoes salad but without the celery (did not have some) still taste great and it make a generous amount
    https://www.hellmanns.com/ca/en/reci...ato-salad.html
    Purdee, SnowFlakey and SassyAshley like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @Purdee !! I finally made my first 2 loaves of the sweet condensed bread. I had only 1 can of the milk in my stockroom so thought I'd give this a try. I cheated a little though, I inserted the dough hooks into my Oster Kitchen Centre to do all the kneading as my carpel tunnel would have flared if I went at this by hand.

I think the guys will love this bread!

Attachment 367730
    The buns look very tasty! Can you write a recipe? Is this a regular muffin or with some kind of additives?

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Baked some Mini Chocolatines from frozen this morning.
    Purdee, cath007 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

chocolate cookies, the kind that are crumbly because of the amount of melted chocolate in the dough
    Purdee, walkonby and cath007 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I just put some cranberry scones in the oven. They usually have raisins but I didn't have any so I used the 50 cent bag of cranberries I threw in the freezer after Xmas-that bag has made lots of muffins too so very frugal.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I found my spine this morning ( well actually, literally it was 45 minutes ago ) when I decided to use my new kitchen mixer machine for the first time. There were many recipes off limits because we had way too much bread and rolls around here to justify making dough for any other ones. Saturday we shared 2 ex lg. pizzas, so that dough was out.....but, then I remembered PIE!

I had no boxes of Sheriff's pie filling so made that from scratch. The pie crust was a boxed mix ( Dr. Oteker ) and the first dough to be made in my mixer worked amazingly well. No issues at all.

Once that shell was baked and the filling poured into it, I nervously attached the whisk to make the meringue. Why was I so afraid?
    The meringue mixed up into stiff peaks faster than I even expected. Spread over the filling and back in to bake/brown up those peaks.

Our dessert tonight is Lemon Meringue Pie!

Name:  my first recipe using Cooklee mixer.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  67.3 KB
    Last edited by walkonby; Mon, Apr 12th, 2021 at 12:17 PM.

babies teach us acceptance

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I made a Chicken Pot Pie this morning. I bought the St Hubert A La King sauce mix and followed directions and added chicken and some canned vegies and voila! For the pie crust i had a frozen Francois Hubert Pie Dough. I froze it because i bought too much at Christmas. Anyway, i defrosted overnight in the fridge and what you do is just cut off a chunck and roll it out. No measuring, no mixing, no nothing. I dont do from scratch anymore!
    walkonby, cath007 and SassyAshley like this.

Page 196 of 226 FirstFirst ... 96 146 186 194 195 196 197 198 206 ... LastLast

Thread Information