User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Wow... you have a big baby... (WTF?!?)

senior canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (96%)

Quote Originally Posted by abbasgirl View Post
    I think in general when people say that you have a big boy, they mean it as a compliment. You may get tired of hearing it, but most people (including the lady at Walmart) mean well.
    Same thing came to my mind lol...Is this just a different school of thought?I also have a big baby ,even my all kids were big at younger age,and I was getting compliments all the time.but not even one time I got offended....As I always thought that people/cashier/server mean well and just trying to please us.(may be I think too positively LOL)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

I get the same sort of thing...only its that they ask if my boys are twins and when I say no, there is a 2 year differnce they say things like "wow, your 2 year old is HUGE" or "little brother must steal all of big brothers food!" The boys are 2.5 years and 4.5 year and both weigh 35 pounds, but there is about a 3 inch height difference. People started asking if they were twins when they were about 1 and 3.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

With some people your always doing something wrong when you have a kid. Your either over feed, or under feed, you discipline to much, or not enough.

I had the opposite problem when DS was was little. He had a lot of allergies (thank fully he grew out of them) But everyone always asked me why i wasn't feeding him. Even the health nurse asked me that. I use to feed him all the time, we even started him on solids early b/c he would still want to eat after a bottle. When DS finally did get to size 3, he stayed in that size for 2 years. He's taller now, but still doesn't weigh much. Our doctor suggested we give a few sweet's to try and put on some weight, but that doesn't seem to help either. He's just got a high metabolism.
    DiamondLil and Candini like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

lol, my daughters were 9 lbs 6 oz and 9 lbs 9 oz when they were born, and were little rolly chubs of cuteness. My youngest was 20 lbs at 3 months and we had to change her into a regular car seat. It bothered me a bit with the first daughter, but with the second I just enjoyed the sweet pudgy cheeks, it goes away soon enough as they grow up. They are both now skinny little girls, 7 and 11. So enjoy your sweet babies, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!
    DianneS and DolceBella like this.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

I guess I need to learn to handle comments a bit better... LOL.
    DS wasn't born big but after he came out he just grew and grew and grew.
    Birth -- 7.5lbs 19inches
    1 month -- 15lbs 21inches
    6 months -- 23lbs 27inches
    11months -- 36lbs 33inches
    16 months -- 29lbs 36inches

Like my goodness!! It's crazy to see how much he's changed. I know when he was 36lbs I was extremely worried about his weight, but my Dr kept telling me "the bigger the healthier" (he's old school, lol). Once he started walking it started coming off slowly, and once we made the switch from his formula to Almond milk it just started flying off! Which really ticked me off... I thought he had outgrown all his 12/18month clothing cause he was so big and I gave everything away. Well now that he's thinned out he's wearing 18months again.

It still throws me off watching him interact with other kids though, my friend's daughter is 23months and is 24lbs 32inches. It's crazy seeing the size difference in the two of them!!
    DiamondLil likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    208 (100%)

I got and sometimes still get the same thing. My kids were small. I hated it when people would always point out how small my kids were. I would never say "your kids sure are fat". Teachers would make excuses for them because they were short. My kids were always the shortest in the class or there was one shorter. I hated it when people would say your kids shoes are so small. Now they are graduated and grade 11. Not overly tall but I usually don't get comments anymore. About 5'10" & 5'7".

I feel for all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by jayne_a View Post
    With some people your always doing something wrong when you have a kid. Your either over feed, or under feed, you discipline to much, or not enough.

I had the opposite problem when DS was was little. He had a lot of allergies (thank fully he grew out of them) But everyone always asked me why i wasn't feeding him. Even the health nurse asked me that. I use to feed him all the time, we even started him on solids early b/c he would still want to eat after a bottle. When DS finally did get to size 3, he stayed in that size for 2 years. He's taller now, but still doesn't weigh much. Our doctor suggested we give a few sweet's to try and put on some weight, but that doesn't seem to help either. He's just got a high metabolism.
    Momof3girlies likes this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I got that comment for 4 of my children (big boy, big girl.... ) they were all tall for their ages and 2 of my sons and both daughters were a bit fluffier than most babies... I just mention they are breastfed babies, and they tend to be a healthier size. If anyone ever continued with the big kid comment, I also mention that its great when they get sick, at least they dont look all sickly like other babies do.... LMAO.
    Natalka and angel_2011 like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jayne_a View Post

I hear ya.... My 6 year old has been in 6x clothing for almost 2 years now. Hes getting taller, but hes a slim jim (he has a great appetite, but is so active the weight doesnt have a chance to stick. Funny thing is that he was the tallest boy in his kindergarten class, but I am used to my kids being tall, solid kids.

People are always gonna make assumptions on your parenting, just let it slide off your back. You know what kind of parent you are, you dont need anyones validation to make you a good mom or dad.
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

I understand where you are coming from completely! We just had my grandmother's 90th birthday party on Sunday and every person exclaimed, "Wow, what a big boy!" or "I can't believe how big he is!" I try not to take it personally anymore. I think I used to get so upset because I am overweight and when I hear 'big' I think fat. My son is not fat. He is lean and muscled and TALL. So now when someone says how big he is, I always reply, "Yes, he's very tall for his age."

I definitely would have spoken to a manager about the cashier touching your son though, that is extremely inappropriate!
    Natalka and angel_2011 like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Oh my.. That was pretty bold of the cashier and very rude I may add.

My nephew will be a year old next week and he looks like a 2 year old [height wise] and his feet are still a little chubby [but so cute to pretend eat ] people think he's much older. My sister told me of several occassions when people make similar comments that he's fat etc etc... like.. WTF. Mind your mouth people. Blah people really need to think before they speak.

My nephew has health issues and other things the doctors are trying to sort out.. the last thing a mother needs to hear is someone saying her child is hefty.
    DiamondLil and Natalka like this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

How COMPLETELY inappropriate! Some people are just so socially inept. Babies are beautiful and perfect regardless of what they look like.
    Natalka likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

That cashier wasn't thinking how insensitive her comments were. I can't think what could make her say what she said other than the fact that she thought he was adorable and just wanted to touch him and say something to him to make him smile, not really hearing the words she's saying. Don't take it to heart.
    The best things in life...aren't things

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I've never understood why some people think it's okay to call a kid 'fat' when they wouldn't say the same thing to an adult. Nor would they appreciate it if a kid told them they were "big"....
    So many coupons....so little time!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

People just need to say something. My daughter is tiny. She has been deemed medically fragile, failure to thrive and so tiny and people say things all the time about how small she is. Really people??? I think I know. I have a almost 5 year old who is still on Isomil step 2 formula and the dr said she might always be. People just need to shut their mouths and keep their thoughts to themselves. What ever happened to the wisdom like " think before you talk" or " if you have nothing nice to say , then say nothing at all"

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

wow that must have been irritating. your son is a cutie.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information