User Tag List

Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
Like Tree3821Likes

Thread: Frugal March chatter (Marching on with Savings) cont'd Frugal Feb....

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I wasn't too great at frugal febuary. We've had a budget since August. And I've pretty much stayed on track. But I wanted to do better in Febuary.

I want to buy a bigger freezer in March with our tax refunds. I also want to get a meat order. But the logistics of getting a meat order up here seem really complicated. We have a chest freezer but it isnt' big enough anymore. What are people's thoughts on chest vs upright freezers?
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I wasn't too great at frugal febuary. We've had a budget since August. And I've pretty much stayed on track. But I wanted to do better in Febuary.

I want to buy a bigger freezer in March with our tax refunds. I also want to get a meat order. But the logistics of getting a meat order up here seem really complicated. We have a chest freezer but it isnt' big enough anymore. What are people's thoughts on chest vs upright freezers?
    I have a chest freezer and I have a love hate relationship with it!! I love having an extra freezer, but I hate digging in it. Whenever I upgrade mine I will be getting an upright!!
    Last edited by Frugal Lisa; Fri, Mar 1st, 2013 at 11:43 PM.
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Lisa View Post
    I have a chest freezer and I have a love hate relationship with it!! I love having an extra freezer, but I hate digging in it. Whenever I upgrade mine I will be getting an upright!!
    That's my issue. I end up loosing all kinds of stuff at the bottom. Plus I make lots of freezer meals and it's a real pain to lay them flat to freeze first. We've had it 11.5 years (I distinctly remember walking in the summer heat while 8mths pregnant with my first) to go buy it. It's has served us very well. But it's just no big enough anymore.

But upright freezers seem so small!

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    That's my issue. I end up loosing all kinds of stuff at the bottom. Plus I make lots of freezer meals and it's a real pain to lay them flat to freeze first. We've had it 11.5 years (I distinctly remember walking in the summer heat while 8mths pregnant with my first) to go buy it. It's has served us very well. But it's just no big enough anymore.

But upright freezers seem so small!
    I'm sure you can get one that will store the same, and if nothing else you likely need less space anyways because you can pack it better!!
    Insane, macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Whenever you open an upright freezer all of the cold air comes out of it, therefore requiring more electricity to get it cold again once you close the door. You don't have this problem with a chest freezer. We bought a chest freezer almost 8 years ago now. It has not given us any problems. Some people buy extra hanging baskets to help organize stuff in it. I currently have a box in my freezer to keep all of the 1 1/4lb packs of hamburger together that we bought from a farmer (my dad's connection). The meat is so lean that you virtually have to put some oil in the pan before you start frying. It is MUCH leaner than the extra lean ground beef that you buy at the store and it only cost us $2/lb.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Jan 20th, 2015 at 08:53 AM.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    You can get uprights that are 25 cubic feet which is a pretty darned big freezer...as big as the biggest chest freezers
    I know. I'm looking at a 17-20 cubic foot one. They just seem so small compared to the exact same size chest freezer. I think my biggest problem is to buy appliance up here, you don't actually get to see it first. I have to go based on pics on websites which makes it look so much smaller.
    macw1960, lecale and jasperandchar like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

I threw our budget out the window yesterday. We were found out yesterday that my MIL has less than 6 months less now that her cancer is officially terminal. We had everyone up last night to have a big chat and hug fest and we ordered in. I don't care.
    coupon girl likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sorry to hear about your MIL, we lost my Nanny to cancer this past summer. We also did not live off a budget well she was ill, she in the hospital so we pretty much lived off take out.

To show couponing if addictive, when we needed a beak from the hospital Nanny would send out to do some shopping and to relax I always went couponing or bought clothes (she loved a good fashion show, I think her roommates thought we were insane but she loved it) which I got on clearance and she loved my deals.

Quote Originally Posted by gourmetsue View Post
    I threw our budget out the window yesterday. We were found out yesterday that my MIL has less than 6 months less now that her cancer is officially terminal. We had everyone up last night to have a big chat and hug fest and we ordered in. I don't care.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

So sorry to hear about your MIL. Sending hugs.
    gourmetsue likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Morning folks!
    I"m not seeing alot of "great" sales this week so I'm going to shop in my cupboards and buy only necessities.
    Goals for this month: Send less prepackaged snacks for the kids, stick to the meal plan and no unplanned purchases.
    We have a birthday party today so I had to spend $15 for a gift (barbie doll) and we make our own cards and have wrap left over.
    I had some unexpected things come up such as the kitchen garbage can breaking and a forgotten insurance payment so I am working with a deficit
    Ah well will have to try to work with what we got!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Off to do my shopping for the week and I am scared. I already know we are over budget without even adding it up. Hopefully it will not be too bad, why oh why does it seem like everything we use goes on sale at once. Living a major catch 22 right now so many great sales I can match with coupons that expire this month but really wishing it had of been spread out more, a few items over the next few weeks not all at once. Hopefully over the next few weeks there won't be much shopping to be done and I do still have $20 left over from a few weeks ago when we came in under budget. Time to take a deep breathe and go and hope I don't cry when I add it all up tonight.
    macw1960 and lecale like this.

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

So sorry to hear, in times like these we do whatever it takes to make it through. Blessings....

gourmetsue and macw1960 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

So sorry to hear this.
    gourmetsue and macw1960 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Off to do my shopping for the week and I am scared. I already know we are over budget without even adding it up. Hopefully it will not be too bad, why oh why does it seem like everything we use goes on sale at once. Living a major catch 22 right now so many great sales I can match with coupons that expire this month but really wishing it had of been spread out more, a few items over the next few weeks not all at once. Hopefully over the next few weeks there won't be much shopping to be done and I do still have $20 left over from a few weeks ago when we came in under budget. Time to take a deep breathe and go and hope I don't cry when I add it all up tonight.
    Girl I'm with you. I'm going tomorrow though. The kids have swim lessons and then a birthday party and there is no way I'm shopping on saturday afternoon with coupons.

Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread Information