User Tag List

Page 6 of 82 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
Like Tree6510Likes

Thread: October Frugal Chatter - Harvest the Savings

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Happy Hump Day! Sent my youngest to school in shorts today! Enjoying this weather while we can.
    Having a good day at work and looking forward to an activity free evening. Pulled a ham from the freezer last night (a small cooked one) so will heat up and serve with fresh broccoli and maybe rice or fries for the kids. Will be a quick easy dinner and something that needed to be used up from the freezer Then a bit of cleaning and then cuddling on the couch to watch Survivor.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Originally Posted by blueeyetea Anyone from Ottawa here? If not, look into your community for the same opportunity.

A couple of years ago, Ottawa came up with this fabulous idea if you want to get rid of stuff without too much effort. The city designates two weekends a year as "Give Away Weekend", where residents can put stuff out at the curb for anyone to pick up at their leisure. It's a great alternative to just throwing it out.

The next one coming up is the weekend of October 26 & 27.

I don't think the city does a lot of advertising on it, but the pros know about this weekend, and they take advantage. I've gotten rid of stuff that even I was surprised some people took. Even broken small appliances labelled as such go when they're free, but used furniture in good condition are the big winners. Since I've been aware of these weekends, I've set a side a corner of my basement just for the stuff I'll be getting rid of. It's so much easier than going through the hassle of transporting that stuff to all the different charities and/or holding a garage sale.

We have that in QC the summer when people move,but it is not the same thing it is ''Gros Rebut'' if it is not picking up the city clean at I dont remember the date but the week of garbage with a special truc.Oh gosh the people for making money of the metal are in the hunt night and day I can tell.The backward-parking here is so full of that,even the landlor dont want,they dont care and just dont get catch up.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Caseythegoalie View Post
    Cath what does this mean?
    No worries,it was 7 years ago when my mother died and we had to sell the house because we cannot kept her.I did the most of the job,it was a comparaison to that,I just written that for a motivation of remember I can do it again in my appart,I am sure this short sentence had some confusion,very sorry about that.
    Last edited by cath007; Wed, Oct 2nd, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good late morning everyone!!! I hope everyone will have a great wednesday,it is sunny and warm here so I wish you all a great day,See you later !!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

hey all I am a little stressed -my son called last night my daughter-in-law may have to have a C-section -baby is breech position-lets hope she moves into right position-I will go with my daughter-in-law for a ultrasound on Friday-they seem okay with the outcome-I just want a healthy granddaughter -oh yes and daughter and her hubby go to Chicago on Friday for a few days -well on a better note talked to my niece who is 18 yesterday -I called to wish her a happy birthday -haven't talked to her in 6 and a half years -due to family problems -see kath most everybody has family problems with brothers or sisters -she may come with her mom for a visit on sat night

Trading Score
    0 (57%)

Good morning everyone! I am cooking my pants off ( thank god for my dad being so helpful!!) today on top of having to run to the dr I am making a harvest style tomato sauce (tomatoes, red pepper, zuccini, celery all from the garden and some mushrooms) for canning. Busy busy!!

Coupon girl: I'm sorry to hear about your daughter in law!! I am sure that it will all work out okay, I will have you all in my thoughts for a speedy recovery. And we are all awaiting the safe arrival of your grand daughter!
    We don't need to be rich, don't need to be famous just to have a good time!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    No worries,it was 7 years ago when my mother died and we had to sell the house because we cannot kept her.I did the most of the job,it was a comparaison to that,I just written that for a motivation of remember I can do it again in my appart,I am sure this short sentence had some confusion,very sorry about that.
    That's ok, I wasn't sure what you meant by that. whatever motivation works!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Just got home from the bulk barn-did you all know they offer student/seniors 10% discount on Wednesdays? I have a student card so I saved 10% on my pickling spices (and gummie candy-I'm an addict). Just threw my sons bedding in (I know time of use is not in my favor) to hang outside and dry in the sunshine. I really have trouble doing laundry after 7 pm, does anyone else? I'm just too darn tired. I'm going to make pickled eggs, then have an appointment at my son's school at 2pm as they want to discuss his learning plan for the year.

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    hey all I am a little stressed -my son called last night my daughter-in-law may have to have a C-section -baby is breech position-lets hope she moves into right position-I will go with my daughter-in-law for a ultrasound on Friday-they seem okay with the outcome-I just want a healthy granddaughter -oh yes and daughter and her hubby go to Chicago on Friday for a few days -well on a better note talked to my niece who is 18 yesterday -I called to wish her a happy birthday -haven't talked to her in 6 and a half years -due to family problems -see kath most everybody has family problems with brothers or sisters -she may come with her mom for a visit on sat night
    Coupon girl...try not to worry too much about the baby being breech.
    I was breech with one of my kids, just kept turning and turning, you would never know what the position would be when I went for a ultrasound, even when I went into labor I was breech, the doctor kept doing ultrasound WHILE I was in labor...the techs couldn't understand why I kept coming back every 4 hours, one minute we were fine, the next breech, then fine, then breech, I was told to prepared myself for a c-section, in the end all was well, the force of labor did the trick, so it's possible to turn even during labor. Good luck to your daughter in-law, during her L&D. And I know she has her DH and her's and your family support. It's almost time . Yea Grandma!

Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Caseythegoalie View Post
    Just threw my sons bedding in (I know time of use is not in my favor) to hang outside and dry in the sunshine. I really have trouble doing laundry after 7 pm, does anyone else? I'm just too darn tired.
    I'm totally with you on this...I can get my laundry done in the day, so I do it in the day.
    I tried leaving it to 7 at night and only manage to get 1 load done, and some night we are too busy, so it doesn't get done, so for me doing it in the day works best. I can have it all dried, folded or hung and put away, before the evening rush, and for me that works best, so if doing it in the day works best for you, then do what YOU need to do to make your life easier and you less tired .

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I hear you on the laundry -but between 5 and 7 p.m it is mid price -I managed to get mine in at 6.30 this morning couldn't sleep -then went back to sleep-and hubg it out cause its beautifull here -nice warm day

Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    I hear you on the laundry -but between 5 and 7 p.m it is mid price -I managed to get mine in at 6.30 this morning couldn't sleep -then went back to sleep-and hubg it out cause its beautifull here -nice warm day
    Yea, but my between 5 and 7 pm, is when I'm probably at my busiest, making dinner, doing home work, doing the park etc. just a very busy time for me, and some of us. So by the time the evening wind down, I'm normally so tired, that I can only get one load if that done.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Time of Use sucks for Hydro, luckily there are only 2 of us in the house so I can do all the Laundry on Sunday but if we do not get it done on Sunday it sucks to do during the week. I usually end up washing during whenever I can and just save the dryer part of it for after 7 pm other wise it won't get done.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We have a device from our hydro company that shows me how much power we are using at any given time and it is crazy when you see the cost difference of laundry during off pike to on peak times. I can usually get two loads done before bed. And don't even get me started on what the diswasher sucks up, but it has a timer so that helps as I will set it for late evening. I wish the washer had one as well as I often forget to start it at 7.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    goonight everyone. I will be canning apples after I get the boys off to school and then I need to start to prep my pickled red cabbage which I have been wanting to make for over a year and with the cabbage on sale this week for .59lbs no better time. Hope everyone has a good sleep and I'll see you sometime tomorrow.
    Oh my lord, I love pickled red cabbage *swoon*

My sister made pickles and pickled carrots this year and my boyfriend and I are savouring them. I told her to do a "homemade exchange" with her girlfriends this year - one makes a great spice rub, one makes good jam, etc. - and who says millenials don't appreciate the simple things

Page 6 of 82 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread Information