User Tag List

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree2072Likes

Thread: March 2016 Frugal Chatter

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    So, one of the frugal things I do is I have a garden. However I am very anti chemical. So , I use organic fertizers.

about 2 months ago, for 40 .00 I bought off kijiji a vermi composter, with worms already in them. adding a link for those who want to learn more... http://www.marthastewart.com/265287/vermi-composting

any hoo. I have reg composters as well.... but honestly, it is frozen solid. I am hoping this will help in the winter and it is something I can do inside in the winter... so , win win.

any hoo.... you need to on a reg basis add ... plain paper.... and small food scraps .
    for the plain paper.... I have been adding torn up empty tp rolls.......

I am hoping by planting season, to have some compost made so I can help the plants.
    I am looking forward to some very productive results.
    You are reminding me of the ER drama episode when a woman brought in one or two frozen vermi composters-she wanted the doctors to save her worms, which had clustered in the centre to keep warm/alive.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    It's been a busy week and it's just going to get busier. Our twins have been teething off and on since Christmas. Baby girl cut her first tooth and we can see the second tooth. Baby boy has been getting up more often at night.

As you are all aware, Dh is running for MLA in our April 4 election. We are attending a variety of events and he has been continuing to door knock. Tonight we attended a 15th annual curling fundraiser in a community 30min away. One part included people "buying" members of the curling teams who are participating in the bonspiel. Dh bought a lady for $200 and her rock was the only one on the button at the end of the competition. He won $6,820!! We still get a tax receipt for the $200 donation. Wow was that ever a nice surprise. A good chunk of the money is going into savings. Some will pay for dh's truck plates and insurance, plus the house insurance. Gives us a bit of a financial sigh of relief, breathing room.
    That is a wonderful thing Angela! Congrats on your win! So nice to catch a break once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    You are reminding me of the ER drama episode when a woman brought in one or two frozen vermi composters-she wanted the doctors to save her worms, which had clustered in the centre to keep warm/alive.
    lol
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

lol.
    my worms live in a container on top of my cats litter box. the worms cannot escape, and its a handy place for them to be.
    currently I am hoping to double my worms, so I can add some to my traditional composters once they thaw, and get them restarted.
    Worm compost is very high in stuff plants love.
    ad with the price of the vegtables, I am really needing some good crops this year.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am planning a garden this year too, it won't by huge but everything helps. I picked up some seeds yesterday to starts the herbs, it is far cheaper than the already started pots I get in May.
    I just made a big batch of chili so my lunch is ready for the week. I am going to allow myself 2 lunches this month after 2 months of packing lunch everyday. I have three full coffee cards to McDonalds so that will cover me this week. I also still have 80% of my Starbucks card that I received for Christmas.
    DH and I are now a single car family. We want to see how long we can hold out. The goal is May. Our youngest plays rep lacrosse so this is when it could get dicey. Worst case scenario I can just work in the TOronto office more as that is a super easy commute. But waiting adds more cash to the car and this will motivate us to get our taxes done as the return goes to the car fund.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good eve, everyone - sounds like you all had busy weekends!

Our son just left, he was here for supper and a visit. He'll be here more often, since he starts school tomorrow - Third year apprentice mechanic, he'll be going for two months.
    We'll have to be a bit more frugal because we'll be shouldering some expenses for him, since EI cuts his wage in half, but we've been ready for this.

And about him eating here more, it's not just because of school - but last week the house he's living in (and 27 others nearby) got their electrical zapped with double the volts - the city accidentally put in the wrong transformer.
    He lives in the basement of the home where his two friends live upstairs, so things he personally lost were a half dozen surge protectors, his XBOX, and his surround sound system.
    But upstairs, there is no stove or microwave, so he's been living on sandwiches or takeout when he's not here.

Hoping the city does their settlements quickly, so they and so many other people can get their homes back in order.
    The wiring of their house still needs to be checked out. The furnace had needed repair, but that was done the night the zap happened.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Grand mother is on her last steps to die she is not in a great shape physically and emotionnaly,i am sad for her
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

cath, so sorry to hear that.

Good morning, everyone. Hoping you have a good day!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So sorry Cath to hear about your grandmother.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    Grand mother is on her last steps to die she is not in a great shape physically and emotionnaly,i am sad for her
    Sorry to hear this Sending hugs.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@cath007 : I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I am just seething right now. We thought my aunt had died of natural causes. My Mom just got a phone call from my cousin - some piece of filth had attacked my aunt on the street and broke several bones, she died of complications from the beating. WHO THE HELL attacks an 87 yr old lady????!!!!
    The same kind of humans who mug senior women that might be slow walkers, dealing with life-threatening conditions, etc. for money/valuables. @Andit , I'm sorry to learn of your aunt's passing and the circumstances leading to her death. It's hard news. Hope your cousin or other kin can get some information through the police.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    the prices of everything is simply going up,an it is getting harder and harder to make the money last. people arereally looking at cutting corners.
    Kijiji's popularity with Canadians was in today's Toronto Star with the use of MacGyver as a verb too! http://www.thestar.com/business/2016...d-economy.html
    Lindsay Tedds, a co-author of the Kijiji study and a professor at the University of Victoria, says most transactions in the second-hand economy represent new economic activity, purchases that wouldn’t have happened otherwise.
    That means they aren’t detracting from economic growth.

However, in some instances, consumers who would have bought new goods are turning to the second-hand economy, instead, a phenomenon that can fuel the cycle of slow economic growth further, says Yalnizyan.

“If they’re buying used, because it’s something they need and can’t afford it new, it will slow down the economy,” she says.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

SO sorry to hear Cath
    Crochetlady, Ciel, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

cath so sorry about your grandmother health

-ceil -interesting article -I fully love thrift shopping -if I wasn't sick I would have been at value village yesterday or today -sometimes I would rather have a quality used top (that looks like new ) than a new top for 20.00-if bought on half price day say I pay 4.00-right there is an extra 16.00 in our account
    -heck I even bought 2 new dish cloths at value village a few months back they were .69-30%=48 cents cheaper than dollar store or walmart for sure
    -I love selling on kijiji too again an extra 75.00 in my pocket since jan from kijiji
    Crochetlady, Ciel, cath007 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupon girl -yes I got the Club Card presale (Sunday) and the Monday sale e-mails but a trip to VV is not in my budget.
    Speaking of budgets-last Tuesday in the Toronto Star, Gail Vaz Oxlade did a column on irregular income and A, B, and C budgets. I had to photocopy it as the article does not seem to be online in the Business section.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information