User Tag List

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree2072Likes

Thread: March 2016 Frugal Chatter

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@avoncallingu -hemp seeds are protein and good for magnesium too. I like adding them to a bowl of Weetabix with warm water or warm milk or into a bowl of oatmeal porridge (Quaker instant or Robin Hood's Quick Cook oatmeal). Besides the Manitoba Harvest hemp brand, there is an Ontario brand called Hempola (I have to try it one day). The orange bags of Manitoba Harvest hemp seeds (original) are usually $8.99 to $9.99 each but sometimes go on sale in Loblaws banner stores for $5.99. Also, MH has a bag of Hemp Bites that might suit instead-can eat as a snack/treat.
    You are wise to plan for some diversions for those low days!
    @SassyAshley - you certainly have endeavoured to tend to many things and it was good that your mother had that extra work to help both you and herself. She might be able to explore if there is a complaint situation under the Employment Act that she can use to deal with the hours cutback, given this is at least second time she has not been given a full-time job for which she applied internally.
    @jasperandchar -Project Reno has momentum! Plastic sheets taped/stapled to cover other areas affected by reno dust helps with the end of day vacuuming. I still remember my sibling thinking the contractor doing the 2nd bathroom work would put up protective sheets but that did not happen. After a thorough vacuuming (by me), sibling bought the thin clear plastic sheets and put them up. Contractor did not vacuum at the end of each day but I did sweep/vacuum and air out space prior to computer use just to make the air manageable. Probably you and your contractor have worked out what kind of cleanup/storage area is required for each day's work. I suggest you have each of your sons have a day to assist with the daily sweeping/vacuum because everyone in the household is going to benefit if you (Mom) are not left to contend with it. Could be a good time for your boys to also do a dinner a couple of nights per week to give you a break/self-time.
    @Frugalbigmama - Home Outfitters has some patio sets set up with cheery cushions which make me stop and give them a squeeze and check out their prices/contents/care. There are so many tempting patterns. You'll have fun picking out your new items when it's time to shop. I got a notice that Lowes has some patio sets on sale ($100 off) but most are they larger deck style sets, not the smaller wooden conversational sets. Don't know what D.O.T. Patio has for 2016 models.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    I think the Greek yogurt has twice as much protein as regular-I think that healthy foods that are soft and easy to eat and calorie dense are great. I guess that is the idea behind Boost too-easier to drink maybe than chew food.
    Valid points. Everyone has their texture/chewing preferences when feeling good or feeling off. Boost or Glucerna-never could understand how one bottle was to replace a meal. I had not problem drinking 2 or 3 bottles as "snacks". One Walmart employee told me that her parents had a bottle of Boost blended with ice to thicken the beverage and sometimes add fruit to it as well. That might be a way to bulk up the beverage to feel more substantial.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Was nice and sunny yesterday and DS didn't want to go anywhere. My honey got off early so we went out. Went to No Frills. Mapleleaf bacon on for $3 less 30% off. So $2.10 a package. He had 2 x $2.50 coupons in his wallet . Cashier took $2.50 off both so extra covered my reduced buns!
    We also redeemed $130 in PC PTS for GC and bought steak, pork etc on sale and got back 25000 PC PTS with our personal offers. We are stocked up!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@Ciel that was my suggestion but I think right now she is letting her emotions do all the talking and not looking at the big picture. I am trying to give her some time but I think tomorrow will be a day she may not like. I am willing to support her but she needs to decide what she wants and make a plan, this flip flopping is not accomplishing anything.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We made it back late last night, decided to drive straight through rather than pay for a hotel. It's nice to be back, but not to get used to the cold again.
    DH and I went car shopping tosay, I want to be ready when the time comes. So far we are managing with one vehicle but lacrosse season is soon upon us and that's tricky on one car. I like the Mazda 3 sedan and it's close to what we have saved up. So now we will just see how it goes. DH will choose anyway so I will just work on the saving part. It's going to be his car as I just bought a new one two summers ago.
    Sassy: I hear the frustration. It's crazy to think as children we are the one dealing with our parents financial fiascos. It's so stressful, but if it helps I have turned out to be great with money and I am sure it's from panicking about whether mom and dad could pay the mortgage. Even now I worry but that's because I am the cosigner.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We went out as a family this morning. We stopped by a trade show that was being held in a school gym. I was just called and told that I won the Mary Kay gift basket. She delivered it to our house. I looked up the products, etc and its contents are worth $240 if I were to purchase them from Mary Kay. I don't wear much makeup, I'm mostly interested in the cleansers and moisturizers.

We we went to the Legion's Kids Karnival fundraiser. We spent $20 on tickets to let our son play the games and play around. He later redeemed his prize tickets for 2 small play dough, 2 large bouncy balls, a pop bottle shaped bubble blower kit, a glow stick necklace (which is bright), a kaleidoscope, and Easter stickers.

We we went out for Chinese food for lunch and there are lots of leftovers for supper.
    Last edited by Angela273; Sat, Mar 19th, 2016 at 07:30 PM.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Lilo-we bought the Mazda 3 one year ago and we both really like it.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Ciel great tips for all including me
    @lilo0003 welcome home
    @coupon girl great stuff on the free top for your dh
    @Angela273 sounds like a great day
    @SassyAshley I hope your discussion goes well tomorrow, set the ground rules or as they say set the tone for the discussion, I truly believe she has a right to make an official complaint or be given a real reason as to why she is being overlooked. I can certainly understand all your stress AND I hope things turn around for you both, would it be feasible to sell or rent the house and rent somewhere else so lower the costs, a place with utilities included.

Best of luck

Clean up day in the reno rooms, groceries this afternoon at sdm got 45K in points yippee only need another 7K and I will have enough for 2 top redemptions come Christmas time.

We may venture out tomorrow to pickup dog food at WM and insulation, time will tell if nothing else the boys will get haircuts as we have the clippers.

Dh got his tax refund and I'm expecting mine on the 24th....tick...tick...tick...who's excited. My refund will pay for the contractors labour which is a great feeling.

Wishing everyone a great evening.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Nancy when it comes to housing our best option is to stay were we are. We had a fairly good down payment and renewed when the interest rates were low so most people I know renting are paying two to three times more on rent then we pay on our mortgage.

Luckily I can handle all of the house bills on my own, the big issue is her bills. I think what is stressing me out more is that she keeps telling me not to worry which would be a nice fantasy but the reality is we have been here before and getting the texts saying I am short ____ and need it tonight is what stresses me out most. I would be much happier to lay out a plan and if she can cover it, it would just be a nice surprise.

I am not someone who handles the unknown well and right now everything is an unknown. I think in a week we have had at least 3 different plans and then the winds shift and the plan changes. I was so happy with the direction we discussed Thursday night and had planned everything out and really started to feel we were in a good place and we could make this work and was planning to present it all to her tomorrow. But the winds shifted again on Friday and pretty much there is no direction right now and trying to talk to her today was pointless so I walked away.

Sorry to off load, this is why when things like this I go into hiding. The girls at work didn't even get it out of until almost the end of the week cause I closed myself off and avoided everyone in the office.

Have a good night everyone, think I will head to bed before she gets home.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

hi all. sorry I have been posting much . It was my goal to try to post here more often. but life gets crazy.
    My FIL past away 2 weeks ago, and life has been insane. we are trying to help MIL2 though it all. we were very lucky that my husband was able to take several days off and go and stay with him in last days.

any hoo, between that and march break. ...crazy.
    I am very thankful next week is a short work week.
    My youngest sold her rip stick on KIJIJI.
    I am actively listing stuff ( funeral flowers are expensive,and we did not expect the expense)
    I am working my swagbucks, and trying to come up with enough $ for a new central vacume hose. I should have it by the end of april. currently the vacume we are using... is not the greatest... but it works.
    my leeks seeds I planted a week ago are starting to poke though.
    and I am goingot put up a hoop house over one of my raised beds to warm the soil... so I can start lettuce and onions in a week or so......

that's it from me.
    I will try to post more.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@Giseledta - so sorry to hear about the loss of your FIL.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

giseledta-sorry about the loss of your father-in-law
    -got my turkey yesterday along with a few other items -I was really tired yesterday-hubby and I are not use to staying up til 2.00 a.m when we got home from my son's we didn't get to bed til 3.30 Friday night -I just didn't bounce back yesterday
    -gonna do a bbq today baked potatoes and a small steak for hubby and I a treat before he goes back to work on Monday
    -Monday morning I have dentist apt -cavity -more money needed -ahhh life

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Giseledta So sorry your family's loss

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good Morning Everyone,
    Having a hard time getting going today
    I am not sure is going to be enough.
    Right now I am so worried something is going to go wrong and I will have to figure out a way to cover it
    I literally do not stop some days and by the end of the day I am done.
    Some encouragement. I picked out these phrases. Each of which I said, oh me too! Don't give up, keep pressing on. We all have more similarities than differences if we look. We are with you. If unloading here helps you manage there, then I say go for it. Maybe one day, you will be able to make a change to free yourself from the stress and we will celebrate with you. I think they say Rome wasn't built in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    hi all. sorry I have been posting much . It was my goal to try to post here more often. but life gets crazy.
    My FIL past away 2 weeks ago, and life has been insane. we are trying to help MIL2 though it all. we were very lucky that my husband was able to take several days off and go and stay with him in last days.
    Hugs and sympathies.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Giseledta, please accept my sympathies on the loss of your FIL. I am glad to hear that your DH was able to be with him. Flowers and funeral costs can be so expensive! I will include your family in my prayers.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information