User Tag List

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Like Tree1962Likes

Thread: June 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (congrats to new graduates)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Perfect temperature and wind conditions today in Ancaster! I'd be very happy if summer was this temperature all season long with a few rainy and cool days. This is my happy zone temperature-wise!
    Decided to cut grass after lunch when I realized tomorrow morning sibling would be sleeping (he works on night shift) when I intended to cut the grass. Noticed the front lawn is about 1/2 dry already despite the weekend's soaking rains and it's not yet July...
    All I can say is there is something to like about getting groceries before rainy days that gave me peace of mind. Not to mention that I also happened to spot two $20 bills on a lawn on my walk home Saturday afternoon (first I questioned if I really saw $20s then I was like, yes they are REAL-quick, pick them up (wet from rain) and dry them then decided to get some personal care items (hand cream etc.) and small items at three stores that my Friday budget did not cover.
    Sunday-delighted to have June issue of Travel & Leisure magazine to read-there's a wellness section on the flipside that discusses various medical/wellness resorts one can pay $$$-$$$$ per stay to get some medical or spa treatments to help with sleep or other health issues. Vogue Knitting (spring/summer) had some good articles-there's a therapeutic crafting institute that began this year in the US to explore links between crafting with hands and health/social benefits. Magazine readers can use a 20% off discount code to enroll in the 20 part course offered online. Vogue Patterns (June/July) had very colourful prints used in several patterns plus a serger article and brief mention of a new stretch thread by Coats called Eloflex for swimwear and activewear (Burdastyle has mentioned this thread for its bathing suit sewalong online). I was thoroughly distracted from the lack of FIFA soccer game action yesterday (walking to Turner Park library was out of the question due to the downpours in the morning).
    I happened to look at my paper tracking of June expenses and noticed I bought 5 bunches of celery. Getting really bored with it and bananas. Decided I'd like to budget $15 per week to spend at the weekly farmer's market just to vary the produce offerings (or get a Niagara area wine). Had a few expenses that were not recorded so I looked at my receipts and updated the relevant columns and categories. Have to shred the receipts later today. I also want to make one interesting dish or dessert each week, again to vary what we eat at home.

I will post the stuffed acorn squash recipe in the Lentils recipe thread soon-(imported acorn squash is over $4/kg now at Food Basics and I'd have had to pay over $8 for 3 squashes but I said no)-I made 1/2 of the lentil stuffing (had only half of the lentils required to make a full stuffing batch) on the weekend to try it out and I have another way to season lentils during the summer (cinnamon/cumin work well together with tomato paste to flavour the cooked lentils). The recipe is from Haylie Pomroy's blog-she wrote the Metabolism Revoluntion book (e-book reading in progress but her book offers a different stuffed squash recipe using ground turkey and apple for a single serving-to be posted tomorrow).
    barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Value Village will have 40% off kids' clothing, shoes and accessories this Wednesday. Just in time for end of school!
    Angela273, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupon girl -yes, it will be very exciting for you to enjoy a print book after your week of recovery from surgery! Hope the temperatures remain comfortable for a few more days to make errands easy for you. @lilo0003 -your mother must be pleased that you have helped her make the move/transition from old home to new residence easier for her as you also share memories with her and of your late father. I'm sure you and DH will figure out a way to have her visit you at your place during different times of the year so your sons can be with her and spend time together.Not to mention that you all can cook in your new kitchen and make new memories! I wish for you to have the opportunity to just relax and enjoy your home on this long weekend or sometime in July while the sun shines. @SassyAshley -Glad you got your fruit and vegetables that let you have weekend time to yourself while dealing with the cold. Lots of changes at your workplace in the first half of 2018 with you being a key person (corporate MacGyver)-could be a chance to review the changes and see if you see opportunities (for delegation or maybe nominating other staff to step into new roles or for a future role you want to grow into, then you can think of who might be suited to step into your current roles) for the second half of 2018. @thriftygranny -hello! I'd be keen to know what you've learned about customers in your business. Vintage clothing definitely is hot retail market and knowing what your area will support in buying helps your bottom line. @Angela273 -you are striking while the irons are hot during the last week of school. May you get the teaching job or summer daycare contract that gives you what you want!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Question of the day: if you had to think of a song that suits your day or weather in your area, what is it?

For me, Feel Like Dance by globe (though I am rather achy from the grass mowing so I won't be dancing on the sidewalk yet) suits the breezy and comfortably warm day.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Wow did my little dude ever look handsome is his suit for grad tonight. He's at the after grad party that some of the parents organized with a huge Buffet so I told him to eat his money's worth LOL

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

The new potential Daycare family was a no shows she did not message me and is over 1hr late.

The house is nice and clean. We tend to do extra when preparing to interview new potential Daycare families. Washed walls, doors, windows, etc.
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Hello everyone, I haven't logged in in ages. Busy with my vintage clothing business and had to give up some things!! I am glad to see everyone is still here and sharing their days and savings!!!
    Going to try to follow more often, I need the inspiration and savings tips from this great group!
    Hiya!
    Glad things are going well for you. It sure must be hard work! Wishing you many fruitful sales!
    @coupon girl I'm so very glad that you are seeing a positive difference after the surgery, how wonderful!
    @lilo0003 it is indeed a hard transition to make. Wishing all the best for your mom.
    @Frugalbigmama congrats to your son on his head!
    @Ciel song choice is "Hot Child in the City" by Nick Gilder

Still hot and muggy here, should cool off tomorrow
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

“It’s raining men” is my song because that’s all it’s been doing for two days the future cast doesn’t look promising at all. We had a hot dry May.

There was an earthquake off of the coast this morning @ 6.1 magnitude.

I cannot catch a break I go from being very hot to being very cold for body temp I just hope I am not catching a cold.

On Sunday I spent 10.75$ on food from no frills on their 88 sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

my toaster went kaput and its only over 2years old t-fal 44.00 I spent at Canadian tire(with only a one year warrenty) ,well i decided I am not spending that again so got a cheaper brand at Walmart for 20.00(not as cheap as the tinny 14.97 one with no crumb tray)and it has a 2 year warrenty at Walmart -must keep box and bill thou

here is a question I ask myself why did I buy a white t-shirt with a nice pocket??only paid 5 for it -I wore it first time today and already a blueberry tiny stain and tomatoe soup 2 small splash dots
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@coupon girl -white is very cool in hot weather and yes, laundry is an issue for it when food stains hit. Hope your dish detergent or laundry soap helps with taking out the stains. Heck, even try toothpaste on the stains for a few minutes to see if that works.

Sorry to read of the toaster not lasting past 2 years--you might want to put the metal parts into the blue box (I do with watch pieces and random metal from old umbrellas and such). May your new toaster work splendidly for years!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Frugalbigmama -wow, grad sounds grand for your son. Hope you took photos-it's harder to get family pics once kids are out of high school-of your handsome fellow! This is such a big moment for you and DH as well!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Today's chore of the morning (not really fun but it had to be done): washing seat cushion covers from the sofa and loveseat as someone had an incident on one. Did the washing and rinsing by hand then spun them out by washing machine. As for pillow covers, they got tossed into the machine for a cold water wash. Lovely day 2 for drying laundry: seat covers dried fairly quickly. My right arm balked at squishing the foam seat inserts into 5 covers and shifting each cover along the inserts on each side. I don't know how upholstery employees do that task each day or week at work (unless ibuprofen is part of their reality).

Will do some light laundry after supper and wash two blankets to dry on the line. Then write out a grocery list for tomorrow morning (I noticed on the Blog that some grocery flyer deals begin tomorrow? If so, I'm buying that $1.99 Gay Lea Whipped cream at Food Basics!) before the day melts into the pavement due to weather conditions.

Have to check out a few things online. Last night, I really wished I had a functioning laptop connected to the Internet at home. A couple more weeks to go until I find out if the laptop can be fixed or pitched.
    barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Question of the day: what treat(s) are you craving today?
    Caramilk chocolate bar, Taco Bell Baja Blast and single servings of cola with contest PINs.
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Advance notice that the July Frugal Chatter thread is up on the board: https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/426562...summer-canada/

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

ceil- I always crave chocolate bars,but today had a chocolate chip banana muffin instead

supper was hamburgers on bbq with corn on cob and (new cavendish restaurant French fries ) they were good too
    -our roof is getting done on Wednesday as long as it doesn't rain ,or thursday
    barbis9, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information