User Tag List

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1063Likes

Thread: August 2018 Frugal Chatter thread (summer fun and finds)

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Afternoon Everyone,
    I have discovered I have mice in my basement, I went down Saturday night to grab something and noticed a packaged had been pulled apart and sure enough on closer inspection yep a mouse did it. We set the traps Saturday night within the first hour we caught 2, plus another 2 before Mom went to bed and another one over night. Last night we caught 1 more, so in total we have caught 6.

I guess it is a good thing that I know where they are coming so now we need to clean the stock room, sort through everything and get a Handyman in to fix the hole. The owners before us never dry walled in above the electrical box which is where I think they are coming as everything on top of the electrical box has been knocked down.

Mom needs to get in contact with the property management company as I am pretty sure they are living in the walls which is how they keep getting into my house.

Goals for today is to get laundry done and to prep some food for this week.

Hope everyone has a great day
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    So, just how does one pick out a bed? We are in the market for one, a double. It will have to be relatively firm, since we both have bad backs. I also just want a regular box spring and mattress, no euro pillow top or anything.

If you or anyone else has tips or recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Good morning, all! Happy Saskatchewan day here!
    Son is coming over this aft to help us out a bit, to have supper, and a visit.

Have a Fab day!
    Since I did a little research last year on mattresses (mostly with those darn Euro Tops!), start with reading the Consumer Report mattress tips and testing (Feb 2018 issue and maybe the one last year), then start scanning store websites to get an idea of what kinds of mattresses they carry. I did lay down on mattresses in Sears (they had about 10 set up including one mattress that was half firm on one side and have something else just on that test model (not sold that way). Bring your pillows (if they are over a year old, you need new pillow) in their cases and be prepared to rest up to 10min in your favourite sleeping modes on the mattresses to get a sense of how they feel.

Might you have a place in SK that makes mattresses? Not sure how many sample beds they'd have to show but they could make up custom mattresses. Hamilton ON has such a place but their website does not give an idea about showroom mattresses on display.

With a sale, you and DH could probably get a queen size mattress set (Kingsdown?)! Mom ended up with a set from Hudson Bay -Home (queen size set) on sale but ended up getting the store charge card to get more of discount so she could cover the purchase on their store card (otherwise her Visa card would have not been able to cover the purchase as the store discount was not as high for other tender buyers). She still needs a headboard but did get a bed in a bag set months later and last month, another sheet set.

If there is a Sleep Country distribution centre/factory in your area, there could be selected days where the place is open to the public (usually weekend) to sell excess stock. Not sure if any display beds with the mattresses are provided, I have never attended the Ancaster sales in the past (don't recall seeing any 2018 sale dates either in the community paper; usually held 3x per year: April, summer and near Oct/Nov).
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Aug 7th, 2018 at 12:13 PM.
    Natalka, barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@lizzie bargain Yesterday, I was thinking of your South American travels as I was viewing 5 parts of a DW Documentary on Youtube about Transoceania-the World's Longest Bus Journey (it runs from Rio de Janiero, Brazil to Lima, Peru). Some stunning scenery, narrow roads but they look just like ours. Pt. 4 involved several minutes of discussion about how tourism brings its own issues to Machu Picchu (tourists sitting on old walls, the paths need renewing 3x per year instead of the usual 1x per year, some tourists stripping down on site (guards stop that as the site is considered sacred as well as heritage). There was good coverage about different areas of Brazil and Peru and what the local economies did harvest or make to support the locals. Seeing the panderia workers selling bread by the roadside to any car driver pulling over-wow, talk about a sales surge of vendors pressing against the window!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Holiday Monday was spent at home and I put some laundry out in the am and it was dry prior to the afternoon thunderstorm (and little rain). At night, I hung a sheet set and some small things figuring well no more rain until tomorrow. In bed, I heard a downpour at about 11:45pm then again this morning after 6am. Collected the items to spin them in the washer and proceeded to use the dryer for the sheets and a drying rack under an eave outside for the smaller items.

Today-sales!
    Seniors' Day is on at both Hudson's Bay (60+) AND Home Outfitters (55+)!
    And in a Hudson's Bay email-news that STUDENTS can save 15% off merchandise ONLINE or in-store with a valid student card for Back To School shopping!

DETAILS: Save on regular, sale and clearance-priced items. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Some exclusions apply. See in store or thebay.com for details.
    Natalka, barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

OK, I've posted drinks, some tips for heat relief, two frozen pops and one frozen cheesecake recipe (another one to follow tomorrow) in the It's too hot or I'm too hot recipe thread.

The August 13 issue of First for Women talks about the wonders of fermented veggies for weight loss, the water cure (water gel from plant foods that helps concur subclinical dehyration since as we age, our cells leak water more and we feel false hunger, headaches and low energy), cool recipes and intriguing things likes uses for tea (perfect for those of you who don't drink tea but want to use it up if you cannot give it away!). There's a third tea tip in the recipe thread (lemongrass!).

Two tea tips:

To keep mosquitoes away when you want to enjoy your backyard: Place an unused black tea bag in a glass jar and carefully light it with a match. The odour should annoy mosquitoes to keep away from you. (Hey, I think Earl Grey tea with its bitter bergamot citrus oil ought to be stellar to keeping bugs away in this manner.)

To remedy thinning hair: make a paste of 1 tbsp matcha tea powder with 1 tbsp of cold water. Rub paste onto scalp and comb through to the ends. Let sit 30 minutes then rinse. Do 3x per week for thicker hair in 30 days.

How to remove yellow underarm stains on a favourite white top: Place a few aspirin tablets under running water to soften them then rub the pills over the stains. Let sit for a few hours then wash top as usual.

Ozone-you can have an increased risk of headaches via open windows, doors and a/c vents. Make sure to have green plants in your living quarters to reduce ozone indoors.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Aug 7th, 2018 at 01:37 PM.
    barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The humid weather allowed me to use the L'Oreal Pure Sugar Scrub sample on Saturday night to help my skin feel better. I liked the oily sample with its faint rosemary scent and the moist oil feeling left on the skin after rinsing. I have to see what the jar sells for as a $3 coupon is an incentive. This scrub is not something I'd want to use daily but once in a while as pick-me-up.
    barbis9 and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Cooler evening means AC is off. I do love the outside sounds. The cicadas drown out the sound of the QEW. only two more days until vacation and I am at 3/10 no spend days this month. This is going to be a challenge.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 4 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    I must admit 2 nights of bad sleep are catching up with me. I am supposed to go grocery shopping after work but right now I feel it is highly unlikely to happen. We mostly just need some fresh produce to get us through to next week as we have most of the staples in the house. Maybe as the day goes on I will feel better and more inclined to stop. I also need to run into Shopper's for hairspray.

It looks like we may have caught the mice so far 2 nights with no little friends in the traps.

We still need to clean up the stock pile room and see if I can find something to put in the hole to deter them until I can get it filled in.

Well time to get back to work and see what I can get done today. Have a great day everyone.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hi All! Went for another swim last night after work. Really trying to enjoy summer and the beautiful area we are lucky to live in.

Raining today. Grass needs it! Busy evening tonight. Have to pick up my mother from my sisters an hour away and bring her home. (My sister is taking her to St. Mike's today for follow up appt.) so hopefully everything is well and the Dr. can give her the letter so she can give a try to getting her license back. DS has hockey tonight as well. And tonight my girlfriends are going to the movies but I don't think I will be able to make it
    I have a work function in Toronto tomorrow. Have a driving service picking me up in the morning which is nice
    Off to get this day done at work. Have a great day everyone.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Wed, Aug 8th, 2018 at 09:17 AM.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Old news, but new to me, I heard that China was the world's largest importer of recyclable material. When you use recyclables to make new materials, it becomes the cheap version of things on the market. Brittle plastics, colours that aren't crisp and clean, etc. Now they have refused all but the highest grade recyclables and countries are struggling to find somewhere for their garbage to go.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...e-environment/

I wonder if this will have some impact on what is available at dollar stores and if the quality of materials will improve. Or will the cheap materials we're used to seeing from China now be made in Canada or the US? It's made the local waste authorities have a good think on how we can improve our current system.

Right now, we throw all our recyclables into one bin. BC reduces contamination by having people separate paper, glass, and plastic. I wonder if that will come back? DH does a horrible thing I've heard called "wish cycling". If he thinks there is a remote chance that it can be recycled, it goes in the recycling bin. I try to catch most of what he puts in, but on busy weeks, I don't. Contamination remains a big issue at our local waste management.
    barbis9, Ciel, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Our blackberry bush has quite a number of berries on it. I thought nothing much ate them, but there has been some heavy evidence of munching. On closer inspection on the weekend, I saw hornets! There were as many as five on our bush. I carefully picked what I could, but they were much too sour for our eldest. I gave one to the baby to try (because she wanted what her sister was having, not to be cruel) and it was quick to be spat out. I thought they were much too sour for anyone but DH, but within a few minutes, the baby reached out for more, and more, and more until she had eaten every last one. Strange! She never likes anything on the first try!

On a walk around our neighbourhood, one neighbour was getting rid of a child's bike, a child's chair, and a push-tricycle. After the children were put to bed, I walked out to pick up the bicycle and I heard a van stop behind me. I thought it was the owners so I turned to thank them or ask if they wanted anything for it and a man picked up the tricycle and chair and drove away quickly. I was so thankful I was able to pick up the bike as DD1 has been wishing for one for the longest time. This one may be too small for her, but at least she will not be afraid of it as she is the larger ones in her size. She can have a little practice before then.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 6 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I am back -had a wonderfull vacation with family up in Collingwood ,ont for 3 days
    -I decided I would bring the case of 24 empties and put into my trunk I found by the recycling ,then my son-in-law said I could keep all his and my son`s-haha an extra 5. something for me
    we swam everyday ate out one night and my daughter paid for hubby and I
    Ashlyn played so well with her cousin Sebastian

but this last day this morning hubby said their was a bat in our bathroom at 4.00 a.m he wasn't in their when I went at 3.00 a.m ,so called maitenience and they came it was then stuck in between the screen and the top of the window ,so he shut the window the tiny crack it was open -and told us he would take the screen off outside then poof it was gone when Ashlyn woke up we told her and she said ~is it near Halloween nana ~ haha we laughed

got gas for 123.9 at some uniloyal gas station I think that was the name in some small town -only cause hubby was 2 notches near empty

just started my laundry -ahh cant wait to sleep in my bed tonight
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@Sweets parrow I love the phase wish cycling. I have a few people in my house guilty of that. Our region now accepts plastic bags which is grewt but not the actual milk bag and every week I find at least one in the blue bin. Almost had another no spend day but the older child had his wisdom teeth out today and I needed yogurt. Thankfully it's covered by my plan. Fingers crossed it's covered at 100%. He was supposed to have them done while we had. DHs coverage but life got in the way.
    Natalka, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

double post
    Last edited by lilo0003; Wed, Aug 8th, 2018 at 09:10 PM.
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Thanks for the help and links about beds.
    We will be probably moving to somewhere a bit smaller than where we are now, the bedroom would be the same size.
    Would love a queen as we are both tall, but will have to stay with a double.

I call it enforced cuddling, lol!
    JadeAngel, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information