User Tag List

Page 24 of 82 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 ... LastLast
Like Tree6510Likes

Thread: October Frugal Chatter - Harvest the Savings

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

After what seemed like endless rounds of LO waking and being put back to bed (for about four hours straight) I was starving. These midnight snack episodes have made me gain weight in the past three weeks an I can't wait for LO to get used to sleeping without the swaddle. Tonight was the first night we're trying to go without and swaddle won on the fifth hour.... Her hand keeps flipping her in the head. What do people do to transition their kid from swaddle to no swaddle? I'm at a loss. I wanted to put her in a sleep sack, but that doesn't solve the hand problem.

DH's family is driving me bonkers. We're a lot closer than when we started to paying off this mortgage and one of the two upgraded things was the Brazilian cherry wood floor in the living room and hallway. DH's parents have put a big scratch in it the last time they were here (an accident), but this time, they kept their outside shoes on as they visited and walked back and forth all over it. It was muddy and rainy outside today and I kept thinking the little stones stuck in the groves are making millions of scratches all over the floor. The other thing I fret about is LO will soon be crawling all over those same floors and sticking everything in her mouth. I'll just have to find some time (somehow) to really clean the floors.... Add that to my list.

Speaking of germs, DH's mother was coughing and sounding very hoarse today. When I asked her if she was sick (while handling, kissing, and breathing all over LO), she said no, between her coughing fits. I didn't really think much of it (allergies, morning voice, whatever) until I asked DH if she would lie to me, just to pick up LO, and he said yes, she would. Can people really be that cruel? LO is two months and not getting enough sleep as it is!

For all those who have had issues with appliances, has anyone ever gone through their credit card provider? I read that some extend the manufacturer's warranty, but I've never had to call them about it. Some of them even have price protection up to a set amount per year.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Mon, Oct 7th, 2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Sleep deprived typo....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sweet Sparrow, when I ran our bed and breakfast, I used to put a mat at the front door with a pair of our own shoes on it. Beside the mat I had a basket of slippers (knitted ones in our case so I could wash them after each use). When guests came in, I offered them a pair of slippers. That usually was enough of a hint for them to take off their outdoor shoes. It might be worth a try for your family.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I'm part of a lottery pool at work, $5 a month and we have tickets for every weekend. I would hate to be the only one that didn't participate if they did win lol
    In Barrie, a few years back, a group of 20 coworkers won around 20 million. One guy came back from a trip to Poland and claimed he gave someone money to put into the pool for him. He claimed to have always put money in weekly. No one could claim their winnings because the money could not be payed out until it was investigated. It was a huge mess. Never did hear if the guy got his money....or if he indeed did ask someone to put money in for him. I am going to have to google it now.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good morning everyone! Fed the kids eggs and bacon. Cleaned the kitchen. Turkey in the oven. veggies cut up and ready to cook. Laundry going. Enjoying my coffee while catching up and then jumping in the shower and off to hockey with DS (they won yesterday 8-4 It was worth the drive to Gravenhurst
    Your son is playing actual games already? My son is just going through tryouts now. He plays in a D center though so maybe that is the difference?? He was so excited for Peewee this year, as he is a big kid.....well....2 years til Bantam.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

118.9 2 hours North of Toronto. It was 116.9 on Hwy 11 on the way to Gravenhurst
    Got gas yesterday for 119.9 just west of Barrie. Drove 10 minutes towards Barrie...115.9.....argh!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

[QUOTE=avoncallingu;5664994]Well - Lee Trevino - a professional golfer was struck by lightning about 6 times during his career. I would definitely stick by that family! They seem to "beat the odds." (I think I buy a ticket once or twice a year - so don't listen to ME!)[/Q

Haha!! 6 times...WOW!! You would think he might have learned to leave the field after say the third strike

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Good morning! On my second coffee and have already been productive (sort of). #1 phone call to Dr office-booked appointment for this afternoon. #2 call not as positive, called about parking ticket-they said they have a picture of my dash and the hangtag was not displayed properly....I pay $65 a month to park at work and now have a $50 ticket to pay on top of that. GRRRR. #3 to bank to see if my money has been found-purchased something and returned it but refund has not been posted to my account ($170 so not chump change). I'm going to go to the gym, then to zehrs and walmart for turkey and a mason jar for my eggs....not sure about the vinegar and plastic...? Anyhow, as far as my debt repayment goes-$53 extra paid yesterday and today. I know its not much but I will whittle it down slowly and hopefully get it gone

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I remember that story...... the sad part is we have people that don't participate and say they will just sue us if we win.... And we work in the legal field lol

Quote Originally Posted by cdngal75 View Post
    In Barrie, a few years back, a group of 20 coworkers won around 20 million. One guy came back from a trip to Poland and claimed he gave someone money to put into the pool for him. He claimed to have always put money in weekly. No one could claim their winnings because the money could not be payed out until it was investigated. It was a huge mess. Never did hear if the guy got his money....or if he indeed did ask someone to put money in for him. I am going to have to google it now.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes, Rep teams are playing games already. The house league just started here too.

Quote Originally Posted by cdngal75 View Post
    Your son is playing actual games already? My son is just going through tryouts now. He plays in a D center though so maybe that is the difference?? He was so excited for Peewee this year, as he is a big kid.....well....2 years til Bantam.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Retiree View Post
    Sweet Sparrow, when I ran our bed and breakfast, I used to put a mat at the front door with a pair of our own shoes on it. Beside the mat I had a basket of slippers (knitted ones in our case so I could wash them after each use). When guests came in, I offered them a pair of slippers. That usually was enough of a hint for them to take off their outdoor shoes. It might be worth a try for your family.
    There is currently a mat with shoes, and everyone took off their shoes except for this one person. His spouse took off her shoes (but didn't last time, and I do remember offering her slippers - she declined). After she put her shoes on to go, she walked around the house looking for something with her shoes on. Oh dear....

A bed and breakfast sounds lovely. I think I need a vacation. Or maybe just sleep.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I am going to really track my grocery spending this month. I really want to use up stuff on hand and clean out the freezer a bit, be creative while eating healthy.
    Total spent so far:
    $2.98-2 dozen eggs
    $10.88 (3 pk romaine hearts/454g white mushrooms/4pk red/orange peppers/lemon juice/dijan mustard/worchestaire sauce (last 3 items needed to make homemade ceaser dressing which in the long run will save us $ as a $4 jar we like that hasn't been on sale forever doesn't go very far anyway)

So $13.86 spent on groceries and shouldn't have to go back till next week and probably get the same veggies to carry us through to the next week. (I do want the frozen berries at FB for $2.97 so will be grabbing a bunch of those for smoothies)
    Popped out quick to spend $29.00 lol on
    6 x Frozen Strawberry slices ( I have smoothies for breakfast almost everyday)
    gala apples
    popsicles (for DS, he had a headache and popsicles make everything better)
    Milk (with coupons on the bag)

$42.86 total spent so far this month.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Anyone have a meal plan this week?

Tonight we are having BLT's with homemade fries (my cheat night!!) (using leftover turkey from last night)

Tomorrow (Tuesday): For kids-Tacos with ceaser salad and cut up veggies because they have been bugging for them (taco meat already cooked and ready in the freezer) Will shred cheese and lettuce up. Cut peppers since DS likes red peppers now on his. Have sour cream that needs to be used up. I will have maybe an omelette or something else healthier.

Wed-Will pick a meat from the freezer Tuesday night and prep dinner for the slow cooker, thinking chicken with perogies/or rice and carrots that need to be used up.

Thursday-Hockey game so will be bringing DS's dinner to the arena so he can eat so probably leftovers in a Tupperware container that I can heat up and give him once I pick him up at his afterschool care. (Will make extra chicken Wednesday for our Thursday night dinner (will bring mine too to the arena to eat while he is getting ready) Oldest can fend for himself so will probably have tacos.

Friday- On the road North for 3 hours so will probably pack sandwiches/snacks so we don't have to eat take-out/crap.

Sat-at relatives for dinner.

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    oh my goodness your giggle must be contagious because when I read your post about making himself at home and making a sandwich I had to giggle.
    See. I told her she was funny .

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PammieD View Post
    Yup - it's been in November the last couple of years. They put it in the flyer but not that large and they don't usually have signs up in the store/gift card racks. I've actually beem the one to tell the staff about it both years! Lol. Last yr was 8000 bp wub $150 on at least 2 gc. If you bought sdm cards you'd get the base 1500 points as well. You have to do different transactions for each $150 thiugh and different stores have different selection. You also can buy them with credit cards, but usually at $300 they ask you for ID or something ti make sure the cc isnt stollen.
    Not all Shoppers let you buy gift cards with credit cards, (mine doesn't) you would need to check to see if your allow you to do so.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

well everybody have my new granddaughter-I cant send pictures as son doesn't want to -put her on facebook or anything-but she was born at 11.13 last night "ashlyn" weight 6 pounds 12 oz- a tiny baby girl with loads of black hair -my lovely daughter-in-law was in labour from 2 .00 am on sat when her water broke -then we went to hospital at 2.00 pm and her labour was slow -but then picked up in the evening -and my daughter-in-law let her mom and I go in the birthing room with her when she was in labour and pushing -midwifes let us -our husbands went home at 9.00 pm- well I almost passed out -unreal-not from seeing anything cause she wasn't crowning yet -just maybe we shouldn't have eaten boston pizza at 4.30-i don't know my nerves -but I removed myself from the room and a nurse told me my coloring was back to go back in there -maybe my blood sugar dropped she said -anxious maybe-so I went back in and held jenns head up as she pushed -my what a different experience than my 2 births -more subdued lighting, no stirrups she used the mom's -us our hips to put her feet on and push -just a nicer experience than I had 28 and 31 years ago-I thanked her for letting me come in -wow then today we went back this morning to hold her -so sweet -ahhhh I cant describe how this feels-wonderfull-then my son said last night that my mom would have loved her -well I cried then -ohh and my son caught her coming out and cut the cord-just wonderfull-now I can have my thanksgiving too

Page 24 of 82 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread Information