User Tag List

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree3864Likes

Thread: November frugal friends (2014)

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kasha100 View Post
    allspice is a little hard berry that is ground up, you can buy whole ones and ground ones at the bulk barn, hope that helps!
    Thank you. Will have to try that tooo! The nutmeg turned out yum in the gingersnaps today.
    Andit, Natalka, ROMEO and 5 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We are not traveling to see relatives for Christmas this year, for various reasons. My family lives 5+hrs away, dh's family lives about 11hrs away. The two weddings that we were in this year were costly enough. No Christmas travel expenses, less stress, less gifts to buy, etc. I always enjoy baking, so I make Christmas treats. We will probably have a gathering with friends some time in December and might exchange gifts then.

Might be done shopping for LO already.
    -$40 cool remote control car with flashing lights that can do tricks (purchased at local trade show)
    -won a plastic bowling ball set
    -ordered the set of dolls from Chapman's months ago -still waiting for them to arrive

Dh
    - plan on buying him more orange ties or casual shirts

Don't know what we might get for our nephew that is turning 5yrs old in December. His family is my only local relatives. They are the ones expecting twin boys in the new year.
    Andit, Natalka, ROMEO and 5 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!!

Have you started your Christmas shopping?

Do you have a set date "mentally" to be done?

If you are giving someone a gift card do you give them a token gift to accompany it? (something small/cheap)

Do you have a budget cap, so much per person.

Do have a Chris Kringle budget as well?
    Started and almost done. I like to be done by dec 1st.

I try not to do gift cards. They make me feel like i cheated!

Extended family is $35 per person. Boys are $200 each. Bf and i do a couple gift where we each put in half. Approx 100 each.
    Andit, ROMEO, Crochetlady and 6 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Happy November, everyone!

Andit, your "brats" are the cutest!

If you are giving someone a gift card do you give them a token gift to accompany it? (something small/cheap)
    I haven't started Christmas shopping. On my side, I have no idea what anyone wants. On DH's side, we haven't got the name of the person we're buying for yet. Thank goodness, they're doing the draw for the gift exchange is all I can say. Thank goodness!!

Pre LO, my deadline was March. I would buy for people during the boxing day sales of the year before. Now, my deadline is December 28th or the day before I see family. Even then, sometimes it's an IOU if I can't get out in time.

If I'm giving a GC, I don't usually give a token gift with it. I just wrap it really pretty in a handmade, embossed card and dress it up as a card holder.

I never really had a budget cap in the years I had to buy for over 20 people. Some of the gifts came as cheap as possible so I could spend in other places where I didn't have anything to bring the cost down. If I mentally wanted to spend $30 on someone but used $30 in PC points on a total of $30.76, I would write in the budget the final cost of $0.76. I normally go with actual or perceived value to try and keep it all equal for the kids.

There's usually a stocking stuffer budget of $10 or less per stocking stuffer item. Usually, I fill DH's with snack samples or little chocolates so I can fill it for a lot less. We'll both need necessities this year like socks, so that will go a long way in filling it.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Mon, Nov 3rd, 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    Andit, ROMEO, Crochetlady and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Debating whether to go out Xmas shopping with my neighbour or stay home and do housework. I'm 95% done my Xmas shopping, so it's mostly just to have an outing...and an excuse to avoid chores.

Critters and I are still on the old time and slowly adjusting to having dinner later (a certain someone literally screamed at me for being a lousy waitress cause I was making him wait an extra hour for food).

Off to play for a bit while I wait for the neighbour to call.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My deadline for shopping for Christmas is very near! Wishful thinking I think I said Oct 31st lol. Have main shopping done for youngest and niece. Stocking almost done for my boys. I'm in the same boat as Nancy and my teen will be dead last min so I can figure out his big gift/gifts. No idea. Will be going gung-ho this week to get it mostly done.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

We always have a name exchange with my extended family and then buy for that one person only - $20 limit and we have to stick to that. We also have to make a poem to accompany the gift - some of the poems are hilarious! Our gift giving evening takes place some time during the first half of December when we order in pizza and have a blast exchanging gifts and reading those poems. We focus on Christmas at church and potluck family dinner.... to our family the real meaning of Christmas is Christ's birth and we love celebrating this with absolutely no stress.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

was up early this morning. was able to get some of my decorating done. get some projects together to be completed. one afternoon should find them done.
    i figure by the time im done my stuff this week, i'll be ready to help dh with his stuff this weekend. then all the xmas stuff he'll bring up next week.
    little bit at a time. saves a lot of back work on me.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Good morning, everyone.

Debating whether to go out Xmas shopping with my neighbour or stay home and do housework. I'm 95% done my Xmas shopping, so it's mostly just to have an outing...and an excuse to avoid chores.

Critters and I are still on the old time and slowly adjusting to having dinner later (a certain someone literally screamed at me for being a lousy waitress cause I was making him wait an extra hour for food).

Off to play for a bit while I wait for the neighbour to call.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    I hate the time change thing. Lived in SK for 29 years of my life...and didnt have to change except 1 year in university and the last two years since i moved the the NWT. I still really truly dont get the point it doesnt change the amount of light you really get in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    My deadline for shopping for Christmas is very near! Wishful thinking I think I said Oct 31st lol. Have main shopping done for youngest and niece. Stocking almost done for my boys. I'm in the same boat as Nancy and my teen will be dead last min so I can figure out his big gift/gifts. No idea. Will be going gung-ho this week to get it mostly done.
    I find our oldest to be the hardest hes a teen and he seems to have fewer interests over the last couple years to - the interests he does have are computer game related. the youngest...i can come up with scad of gift ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    We always have a name exchange with my extended family and then buy for that one person only - $20 limit and we have to stick to that. We also have to make a poem to accompany the gift - some of the poems are hilarious! Our gift giving evening takes place some time during the first half of December when we order in pizza and have a blast exchanging gifts and reading those poems. We focus on Christmas at church and potluck family dinner.... to our family the real meaning of Christmas is Christ's birth and we love celebrating this with absolutely no stress.
    My sisters and I talked about doing name draws for the adults and buy gifts for each of the kids but decided until one of them has kids it ends u being unfair financially.
    Last edited by saundyl; Mon, Nov 3rd, 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Yes & No, some stocking stuffers will be pulled from stockpile so I have those and I know a few gifts I need to pick up just waiting on giftcards to come in or the right sale.

Oh how I wish I have found the last couple of years I seem to take one day go completely insane shopping and than all is done.

Nope the way I see it I am probably spending more on the giftcard than I would an actual gift since it would be bought on sale or with coupon so the card is enough.

Yes and no, since 80% of my shopping now is giftcards (thanks family who wants NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I decide each cousin will get $10, siblings get $20 and than the rest if depends on what I am buying, by far I spend the most on Mom and it shows I usually spent between $100 and $200 and she gets spoiled.

No really it comes out of overall, I have a budget that I must get everyone's gifts for so it all really depends on how the budget is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    We only do gifts for a few people. I got something for my friends back in the summer and put them in a safe place. Problem is...it`s such a safe place I can`t find them.
    Oh I so have this problem, have done this a few times picked up something I know they will love Christmas comes and no where to be found but come April or May there it is.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    No really it comes out of overall, I have a budget that I must get everyone's gifts for so it all really depends on how the budget is going.

Oh I so have this problem, have done this a few times picked up something I know they will love Christmas comes and no where to be found but come April or May there it is.
    If I don`t find them before Christmas it`s not a real problem...they`ll get them for their birthdays. They`re sure to turn up by then.
    Andit, Angela273, lilo0003 and 3 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I always run into the issue of the return policy being a shorter date than Christmas. I feel that if I'm picking it up, it can't be returned in case the recipient doesn't like it.

I have a fear of commitment.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Ok I need suggestions please.

BF is allergic to cinnamon. I love cookies and such that tend to have cinnamon in but dont make them since we moved in together because i do not want to kill him. Is there actually a known decent substitute for cinnamon in things like gingersnaps, apple pie, etc?

I've heard nutmeg and allspice (but doesnt allspice have cinnamon in?)
    "I do not want to kill him." lol how thoughtful
    Andit, Crochetlady, Insane and 5 others like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    I hate the time change thing. Lived in SK for 29 years of my life...and didnt have to change except 1 year in university and the last two years since i moved the the NWT. I still really truly dont get the point it doesnt change the amount of light you really get in the winter.

I find our oldest to be the hardest hes a teen and he seems to have fewer interests over the last couple years to - the interests he does have are computer game related. the youngest...i can come up with scad of gift ideas.

My sisters and I talked about doing name draws for the adults and buy gifts for each of the kids but decided until one of them has kids it ends u being unfair financially.
    In our situation, the kids are included in the name draw - they only get one gift of $20. When they were younger my husband and I would also buy a group gift for our boys (given on another day than the gift exchange). We would buy them snow board tickets, one year it was a soccer table, etc. Now we don't bother with these group gifts as they are much older and don't really care for all that gift stuff.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I received a text message at 10:45 last night, so I taught for her today. The flu had finally made it to her third child yesterday after making its rounds through their family. My teaching day went well. LO had a snack at the table after work while I washed up any dishes. I'm just taking a little break before I head back into the kitchen to start cooking. LO has gymnastics at 6pm.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information