User Tag List

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
Like Tree3260Likes

Thread: February 2016 Frugal chatter thread - All Welcome!!!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Appear to have lost my USB stick on Wednesday that has our budget on it. And some bills for pc work. I keep hoping to find it in the house but so for no luck. So I'll redo the budget this afternoon from one I saved in email 2 weeks ago.

Knitting more dish clothes. I have 2 orders for 4. And an order for 5 of the ones I do with a scrubbie in. I'm also working on my grandma's Christmas blanket. All if the wool for the projects I already have so I won't need to purchase any wool (sad face ). I also have enough wool to do a second blanket like the one I made my nephew and a second carseat cover.

BF and I decided this week most suppers will be from the freezer so we can get some if the stuff in the bbq used up. Tonight however we are having leftovers. We had bacon and Eggers with waffles instead of English muffins. Pretty yum.

I did our taxes yesterday. Have to wait on a decision re bfs reassessment request before we submit them though. We also got the last of the paperwork from his employer re the mtg and disability insurance applications. Now we wait for approval.

I'm checking coupons but I'm just not seeing anything that seems to be beneficial lately. Although we will be needing a new 90 pack of tide pods in a week or so.

BF started ds2's laundry. He said he's going to do ours on Wednesday. I'll tidy my craft room this afternoon as well and possibly install the seat covers I bought for my flex a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

loved having my daughter over -she said she had the best sleep in ages
    -daughter-in-law asked if we could watch ashlyn this morning at 11 cause she had a big grocery shop at walmart to do(son was working) -and ashlyn is not that great in grocery stores no problem -we took her for a walk -played inside with her also

-wanted to go to mall this afternoon and look for new winter boots -but was too tired woke up at 4.30

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Had a great sleep last night and was up early so went out for a bit since everyone was sleeping. Found chicken drumsticks for .99 lb at RCSS so bought all 5 packs. Cooked 1 pack at lunch with rice and boys ate it all!! Dumped 2 packs per freezer bag and bagged a few times for freezer. 2 dinners that will satisfy my hungry boys with possible leftovers. Meat cost per dinner approx. $3.75. Not bad in my books.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Angela hope they can get some answers for you soon
    Angela273, Ciel and bobbiegirl2010 like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I will be so happy when these meetings are over because I decided to second guess myself last night. I (internally) started freaking out about my dessert for the second meeting and decided my current idea was not good enough. Originally I was going to ask my Dad's assistant what she thought but then realized this will only give mt 2 days to come up with an alternative so I decided nope have to change my plan.

So now at the first meeting I will be serving
    Cinnamon Blondies
    Peanut Butter Cookie Brownies
    Apple Squares

Blueberry Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce

Second Meeting will be:
    Banana Muffins
    Blueberry Muffins
    Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

Apple Rice Pudding

Both desserts will now be done in the crock pot. If I can find some extra time (Yes I am laughing at that comment), I might try to make a cookie or 2 but if I don't I have accepted it is what it is.

My new plans is starting next weekend I am going to make one or two things each weekend I can pop in the freezer and then when these meetings happen I can just pull out what I want each month and defrost.

I think my panic is just a need to impress everyone. Many of my co workers hear from my loving family how much they enjoy my desserts on holidays and most whine and complain they never get any so now here is my chance and I am worried I will disappoint. It is so much easier to cook for family because I know what everyone like, as long as I have a chocolate peanut butter something and something with cream cheese everyone is happy.

Time to read over my recipes one more time to make sure I have everything and know the basic outline including cooking time so I know what time I need to be at the house to set up and get every thing on so it ready for lunch.

Have a great night everyone.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hi, all!

Just taking a break on here after supper, while the men discuss men things, lol! (There is only so much car talk I can take...)

Husband did the grocery shopping this aft - got some fab deals at Sobeys with their on the card savings - 2 bags of froz veg (1 GG, 1 Signal) were 1/2 price, as was a two-pack of our favourite ham sausage (wish that would happen more often!). There were also decent prices on fresh veggies, as well - except carrots were more expensive, for some reason. Also picked up some specials at Co-op, for their dollar days.

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@saundyl : Congratulations on being a new aunt!

@lilo0003 : Glad I was able to remind you about the apples. I fear I won't have a chance to try them at this price.

I traveled the other direction to RCSS on the weekend, half an hour away, only to find out that I paid $14 for two bricks of cheese that should have been on sale for $8. I'm debating whether or not to take time out of my schedule of picking up LO tomorrow, just to return or get a price adjustment on cheese. Because we were rushing to get to a child's birthday party, I didn't check the top part of the bill since it was one of the only items I wasn't price matching. Oh, to have my own mind again, instead of having it cluttered up with other people's appointments and concerns!

On decluttering, I feel like my space is really cluttered, even though I find most everything useful. For example, we have two kitchen spatulas (one slotted, one solid) and two spoons (one slotted, one solid). We have no doubles of anything except measuring spoons where I use one for dry ingredients and one for wet. Every time I think I'd like to get rid of an item, I remember why we have it in the first place. The only thing I think I'll take out of the utensils is the potato masher. We all hate mashed potatoes, but it came with a set. I do have an extra set of everything in silicone though (scrapers, spoons, etc.) because they're so useful and I think I'll one day break one.

@Natalka : That's a great price on ground beef. It took me awhile to figure out the conversion mentally. Here, meat is advertised by the lb weight but sold at the kg weight. Argh!

@coupongirl : I'm reading the same book too. It's funny how she thinks of inanimate objects as having their own energy, but it makes sense that it's just a reflection of your own memories attached to the object. If it was around when you were having a good time, it's a keeper item.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Sun, Feb 21st, 2016 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Spacing, names

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow it sounds like one of those blocks of cheese would qualify for SCOP, plus a price adjustment on the second block. I'd seriously think about returning to the store.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Saturday, I decided to go to the Chinese grocery store because I needed something specific for a recipe. Shopping at RCSS, WM and NF for so long, I'd forgotten what an experience it was. Standing at the end of two full conveyor belts of groceries, I was trying to decide which was faster. I opted for the Asian lady perhaps in her mid-thirties over the new hire (non-Asian, because of all the complaints customers have had of no one speaking English). Back when DH and I shopped together, he would load the groceries onto the belt, while I would find my money and watch the prices of items as they scanned. Prices are printed on 8.5 x 11" coloured sheets of paper and change often.

When I lined up, there was one person paying, and one person who had filled the entire conveyor belt. By the time I took out my wallet and found my debit card, the cashier had scanned an entire conveyor belt of groceries and was giving the customer the total. I rushed to try and get my basket of groceries (fruits and vegetables) onto the belt. Since the previous customer's groceries had already been scanned, the belt was already moving so my items were beginning to get spaced apart. I was barely able to get my basket stacked before I had to run to the front of the line to scan the screen so I could get a glimpse of the charges. I pulled out my reusable bags since they sometimes bag while you pay to move the line faster. No coupons, no loyalty rewards, no pricematching. Before I finished entering my debit card PIN and info, she had already bagged all the groceries, using none of my bags.

While scanning, she was already sorting groceries into heavier produce, lighter produce, things that can and can't be grouped together, etc. She pulled out the bag and gave the bag two quick flicking motions; one to open the bag, and the other to bag several groceries without touching any. She had already scanned all of the next customer's groceries by the time my receipt was printing out of the machine. I think I was caught up in the spectacle of it all. It was like watching a professional in action. Crazy!

When I was living downtown Toronto, the cashiers in Chinatown were just as fast or faster, even though they take the time to roll up all your glass jars in newspaper, and only deal in cash. Electronic transactions would just slow them down. I remember barely having the time to empty my basket before grabbing cash and throwing it into her hand. She can ring in, bag, wrap, and count money faster than I can! It was always helpful to shop in $20s because they were very familiar with making change. At most shops, there are no computer screens, just hand entries. Each produce code is memorized and inputted at the time of purchase. The screen showing the total faced the customer only, so it almost felt like the only reason it was there was so the customer could easily confirm that it was the correct change.

Deja vu!

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Sweet Sparrow it sounds like one of those blocks of cheese would qualify for SCOP, plus a price adjustment on the second block. I'd seriously think about returning to the store.
    @Angela273 : I know, I seriously want to! It means an extra third bus on a route that takes me one city block back and it could set me back anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Last summer, I could barely get to the daycare before closing time at 6 PM (even though I leave work at 4 PM) when General Mills was offering free cereal.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Been having problems with my modem, gave up trying to convince the cranky thing to obey, so went out for (root)beers with friends to drown my sorrows. Brats are not impressed with my early morning shenanigans here, Quincy cat is being especially vocal in irritating Lily dog. Which explains why Lily is at my side, crying. Sigh. Think the boy may need to spend a little time in jail again.

Better get going. Have to get ready - I have jury duty today! Wish me luck.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-morning sweetsparrow-I finished the book loved it "does this spark joy" is common phrase in the book if it does then keep it
    -I do disagree with her saying empty out your purse each night
    -oh and stockpiles I do disagree -as that saves me money -she states you may think it is a waste of money ,but reducing your stockpile and relieving yourself of the burden of excess is the quickest and most effective way to put things in order.
    Give it to friends who need it ,recyle or donate it (I did donate about 12 pkgs of bar soap plus a few extra stuff to a womans shelter last month)Once you experience the freedom of life without a surplus stockpile ,you wont want to give it up and will actually stop stockpiling

-oh well I disagree with this as a stockpile does save me money in the long run -and I have cut back on certain items since my mom has been gone no longer do I need tons of toilet paper ,Kleenex ,body wash ,soap shampoo cleaning items when their is just 2 of us

-well have 2 bags to go to value village -may go this morning as I need a few tops -put a bit of extra weight on say 10 pounds the last few months -my card will be filled I think then I will get 30% off -not bad as I missed 50% off day a few weeks back was babysitting

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -I do disagree with her saying empty out your purse each night

-oh well I disagree with this as a stockpile does save me money in the long run -and I have cut back on certain items since my mom has been gone no longer do I need tons of toilet paper ,Kleenex ,body wash ,soap shampoo cleaning items when their is just 2 of us
    @coupon girl: I also think emptying out your purse is a bit excessive and leaves you with more to pack in the morning, although I feel as though the author has reduced to the point where she has some fancy bag she absolutely loves and her home looks like a hotel room in terms of the number of items within. Her wallet probably would stretch her beautiful bag. Mine is a $0.99 reusable shopping bag in case I need to stop off for a quick pick up at the grocery store (or at least I did before LO). I clean out the coupons and empty the coins once a month or so and toss it in the wash. I'm sure she'd be horrified.

On stockpiles, if you read her second book, she does say that it's perfectly acceptable to have a stockpile room. She just has an issue with something like toilet paper stashed in five different places in your house. We have an unfinished bathroom in the basement, complete with the rough in for a toilet and a shower that the last homeowner put in. If it wasn't my stockpile room, it'd still remain an unfinished bathroom since we have many, many, many more financial priorities before putting a full bathroom in the basement! Stockpile room it is, and it's not taking up any extra space. Maybe I will stick all the extra toilet paper rolls there instead of keeping them in the downstairs powder room.

I saw TP at RCSS yesterday for $20. It was a largeish bundle, like 24 rolls, but I can't imagine $20 as a feature price! I think this week, I'll have to buy some more TP as both my brothers have been buying out of my stockpile at an alarming rate! At Christmas, I think 10 packages disappeared all at once. According to Mom, I MUST help my brothers, so I need to go out shopping again. On the bright side, at least it's not DH's family who would expect them to be given for free just because we had extra.

Edit: Actually, let me correct that last point. DH's family would expect to get the $20 TP at the grocery store and expect us to pay for it on the spot. I totally (internally) freaked out when they made us buy the $10 paper towels that could have been had for $2, but DH's dad has the mentality that you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Mon, Feb 22nd, 2016 at 10:07 AM.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I have a question to all the parents and those that buy for toddlers. Is it possible to buy winter boots a year in advance and have them actually fit? Or is it like playing the lottery and the chances of buying the wrong size way too high?

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I have a question to all the parents and those that buy for toddlers. Is it possible to buy winter boots a year in advance and have them actually fit? Or is it like playing the lottery and the chances of buying the wrong size way too high?
    its kind of like the lottery, but when you win its soo worth it. If you are off and she misses the size you will easily be able to get what you paid for through kijiji or consignment assuming you uy them at the end of the season. I did this for my kids but having two boys meant chances were good they would fit one of them at some point. I picked up Sorels at Liquidation world (man I miss that store) for $10 & I bought 4 different sizes. I could not have bought 1 pair for that price. It kept the two of them in boots for years.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread Information