User Tag List

Page 57 of 149 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 ... LastLast
Like Tree5643Likes

Thread: What's blooming in your yard?

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Love the burgundy lily marstec. It's just regular basil that i bought in flats at the nursery, lol could be Frankenbasil!!!!
    Last edited by Patty Smyth; Sat, Jul 27th, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
    GoJays and marstec like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am doing this next year
    \

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

It's not my garden but the farmers around here are having a hard time getting the wheat off because there has been so much rain. A waiting game - and hoping the rain stays away.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I "borrowed" a slip of English Ivy from the garden at my MIL's nursing home. She's largely bed ridden but she used to be an avid gardener. I plan to plant it and maybe it will grow in her room. Right now it's growing roots in a coke can on my counter.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Too funny! I'm going to plant this in the yard of the stinky weed smoking party people down the street.
    Vesper - when I read this, I thought you must live just down the street from us! We have stinky weed-smoking party people just 2 doors from us, too! And then the guy just beside us KILLED his front lawn one night and then just let it turn to weeds. Luckily he's just moved and we have new neighbours.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

maybe you ladies and gents can help me out here, dh bought 3 Monarda Hybrid 'Pink lace'(bee balm) plants, he left them in the pots.. and just asked that i continue to water them.. which i did, until last week when we had that long heat wave.. well i missed watering them for a few days.. apparently i killed them. or at least thats what it looks like.
    is there a way to bring the back, are they finished for the year or completely. the plant itself is still green, but the buds aren't flowering anymore. do i cut them off to bring them back..? or what. they are a perennial.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

if that happened to me, i'd chop off the dead buds and give it a good soaking.. dip it into a bucket of water until the dirt is completely saturated and it won't hold anymore water.. take it out and let it drain... check it the next day, or even later that day, and if the leaves have perked up again the plant is still alive.. good luck!
    walkonby likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    maybe you ladies and gents can help me out here, dh bought 3 Monarda Hybrid 'Pink lace'(bee balm) plants, he left them in the pots.. and just asked that i continue to water them.. which i did, until last week when we had that long heat wave.. well i missed watering them for a few days.. apparently i killed them. or at least thats what it looks like.
    is there a way to bring the back, are they finished for the year or completely. the plant itself is still green, but the buds aren't flowering anymore. do i cut them off to bring them back..? or what. they are a perennial.
    Agree with gojays, just want to add put it in the shade so as not to stress it out. A cool spot would be good. I am sure it will come back. I have done terrible things to plants in pots waiting to go in the ground lol some are very forgiving
    operabob and itsmewhoelse like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@bluerose-you have strawberries! Summer goodness-how amazing.

@PattySmyth-lovely backyard; your hostas are thrilling! I'd give the blue spruce shrub? and evergreen moving notice into a corner where no one is likely to walk.I have issue with such trees near back of our house-tricky walking barefoot on grass to hang up the laundryon the lines without going ouch at least once.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

My acidanthera is blooming again. I posted a pic of it here last year, how can it be that another year has gone by already. Anyway, it's like seeing an old buddy come alive after storing it over winter. These guys have a long growing season, I started them indoors in mid Feb and they're blooming now.

I wonder lately where did all the tiger lilies go, it's so rare to see one. I m having this fantasy of me spotting one at garden closeouts one of these days.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I know that it is not the right time of year for this, but I am probably going to dig up my front flower bed this week and it has bulbs in it that have been there for years. The flower bed was there before we bought the house 8yrs ago. The soil is horrible and the boarder is small and rotting. There is a LOT of quack grass in it and I have dug out all the shoots each year, but there is no liner in the flower bed to stop it from growing back. I just finished digging out all the purple iris tubules. I have tulips and tigerlillies to dig out too. What is the best way to preserve these flowers? I want to give them away or sell them for cheap. I told dh earlier this year that as far as I am concerned we can get rid of the flower bed. I know it won't help the curb appeal for our house, but I prefer my vegetable garden in the back yard and the flower bed gets neglected. I have barely found anything that will thrive there because it is shallow, South facing, against siding (VERY hot).
    Thanks for your help.
    Oh wow just saw this. I'd like some of your tiger lilies, what colour are they? Will pm you.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've been enjoying beautiful weather in Vancouver all week. Here are a couple of plants that I would love to grow but are too cold for my zone:
    Acanthus aka Bear's Breeches and (Mophead) Hydrangeas...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

This is such a wonderful thread!
    tobiwobi likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I set up my rain barrel finally last week. Today it rained and I got 200 liters plus overflow in one shot lol . I think I am going to get another one
    Zonny, Ciel, itsmewhoelse and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

There is a 2ft woody stem type flowering plant that has sticky green/yellow flowerheads which open to reveal med. purple/fuschia flowers. I've been seeing bumblebees (4-5) in the morning around those plants and the lavender. Talk about excited bees-they were still around after 6pm when I was sweeping the walk.

Then after a pause in weeding outside yesterday, I saw my first honeybee sighting around a squash blossom. Have seen honeybees in the spring but not much during the summer (other flowering distractions?).

Miniature red rose bush of Mom's has that splotchy black mess on the leaves. Some regular rose bushes in the back are either with that splotch on the leaves or bugs have been dining on the leaves. Trimmed off what I could.

Noticed a pear tree had two small branches of brown leaves with shrivelled pears on the ends. Took those branches off as the others have ripening pears. No idea how the "freeze dried brown" look happened but the tree did sustain a limb loss in the late July wind/rainstorm.

Took note of a young mulberry tree on the property perimeter-oh, taunting berries up high! With the humidity returning, I might have a chance on Saturday to get a ladder out and pick a handful or two before the heat turns the berries into mush. That is what quickly happened to the cherry trees in June-week of heat made a mess of the cherries.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Aug 2nd, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Zonny likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 57 of 149 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 ... LastLast

Thread Information