User Tag List

Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree8085Likes

Thread: Just chilling in January (2015 frugal chatter)

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

I was foolish enough to go out & run an errand yesterday. It started off with lots of sunshine & blue sky. I popped into a store & in less than 5 minutes, it had turned into a raging blizzard. The sn*w was the icy icky kind that makes for a skating rink. Blech. I finished my errands (better to stay inside the stores than venture out into the storm), only to find that the sun was shining again. I think Mother Nature got into the moonshine again.

May or may not be awol for the next few days (having a variety of b-day celebrations, starting with raspberry beer tonight ), so make sure y'all stay warm & happy.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Is it your Birthday today Andit?? If so enjoy the raspberry beer and have a fantastic time celebrating!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning All,
    Heating costs suck is all I am going to say. I know we heat with baseboard heaters but still I do not get how my bill can vary so much.

Question for all you ladies, How long do you keep paper copies of your bills (hydro, cable, phone)? I want to clean these up as I found bills my Mom actually moved from our old house so over 4 years ago, these will go for sure but not sure how long I should keep the ones for this house on fill.

Slow start to the morning, woke up at 5 am ans was wide awake, said nope no way all week I have fought to get out of bed and now it is Saturday I am going to sleep in, BAD idea woke up again around 7 and felt like crap, I should know better. I am not up but really getting nothing done, my head is pounding a bit and I am super sore and have zero ambition. Thinking it is time to go tell Mom it is time to get up, she is probably awake but just not getting up so she can get up and come down and help me with what I am not sure yet but we seem to have stalled out on our house clean up and time is ticking she has 20 days to get everything out of storage and I am gone for almost 2 weeks so she is on her own.

On that note I am yet again torn when it comes to work. Myself and both of my bros are travelling to all of our locations this winter to work with the staff, my bros work under my Dad and are being sent for a week at a time, where is I work under our controller who wants this done as fast as possible with as little time away as possible. At first I was all like okay I can do this but the more I look at my schedule the more I think this unrealistic. Example being I have to be in my office every Monday (not sure why) so Tuesday Morning I leave for one location which is about 3 hours away so I will need to be on the road somewhere between 5 and 6 am and I won't make it there for when they open, I spend that day in that location, I than drive to the next location that night which is a 4.5 hour drive, check into a hotel and than be at the next location when they open spend the day there with them and than make the 3 hour drive home and be back in my office on Thursday. Now I keep getting told my schedule is flexible and if I feel someone is not getting something I can check into a hotel that night and stay an extra day but I guess my fear here is who decides this and if I do will I have justify my not coming back. That is one of the two weeks, the other week really isn't much better. The other week I am in my office on Monday as the girl who used to work with is coming back as a girl in our department was moved out (not her choice) Tuesday I go to our other "local location (45 minutes drive, not bad I have done it many times before), Wednesday back in my office as one of the girl's in my department is off, Thursday off to another location 3 hours away (do you see a pattern on how our locations are spread out) here is my issue this is a large location it is estimated I need 7 hours to spend with the staff and that is assuming everything I show them they know how to do without training, I am can just go in test their knowledge check off yes they can do it and we are done and I am out of there. So I am thinking I need to be on the road around 4 am so I am there when they open at 7:30 (not sure how bad traffic is on the hwy I need to take and I am not an aggressive driver) but it going to be a day of no sitting down to get through all 5 guys, and than drive back that night. Yes I know if things don't go as planned I can say okay I will check into a Hotel but I do know I just feel like everything I do is going to be rushed and at the end of the day I feel this whole experience is going to be a fail and reflect therefore badly on me as someone who cannot train others. Now here is my issue, do I try to reason with our Controller who is the one that set my schedule or do I just go to my Dad (which I HATE doing, make me feel like that whiny boss's daughter going ha ha I will go above you) and say I do not think I can do this, your sending the boys into each locations for a week and I am being given a day that has to include commuting to these locations which will in most cases is anywhere from a 3 to 4 hour drive each way so I will be spending like 8 hours a day on the road and than am expected to test and train our staff. My Mom says to go my Dad, I spoke with a co worker who said there is no need for me to be in any of these locations for a week and that our controller is right get in get out and get back, but I do not know what to do. I am feeling so overwhelmed but our controller has said he wants this done before I go on vacation (I leave Feb 14th) plus the week before I leave I have to be back in my regular location as invoicing is off and I am her back up so I need to do invoicing that week. I am really seriously at a loss, do I prove give me an impossible schedule and I will make it work or do I just say yeah on this time frame I cannot do it.

Sorry for my mini rant, spent most of last night up thinking about this and am no further ahead in my own mind. Hope everyone has a great day.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Sassy, If you are travelling four hours to a location and then another 3-4 at the end of the day this makes for a least a 16 hour work day including travelling if you are putting in an 8 hour day actually working, can your controller not do math?
    Seems like a no brainer to me, talk to your controller and go over the numbers and ask for clarification on expectations before going over his or her head and going to your father. Perhaps he or she doesnt' realize how unrealistic the schedule is.
    As far as paper bills go I have a home office so I keep all my utilities bills for 7 years. However I have gone paperless for most things and scan and computer file anything that is not paperless,In this day and age there is no need to keep hard copies of too many things when you can store things on a computer file.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Hello,

After a week of work I am EXHAUSTED. I will be having a lazy day. Letting the kids run and play while I play catch up on SC, dishes, laundry...

I didn't take my morning sickness meds last night and I can't say I am feeling any different. Tired and in a fog. Waves of sea sickness that come and go. I remember this with my first. I will be happy when it passes.

Paper bills: I have an accordion file folder with labels. We keep them for a year and shred. I find I file 2-3 times a year from my catch-all box. Whatever is over a year old in the accordion file, I shred. Taxes we keep for 7 years.

We bank online and have a lot of bills in paperless billing, which is nice, because I don't have to store those and can keep years worth of bills. I have a special file for items with warranties in the accordion folder and write the year the product is guaranteed until on the top of the receipt. We really try not to keep what we don't need...after the move and all the title insurance fiasco I have learned to keep housing papers FOREVER. Fortunately, the page I had gotten rid of someone else had kept! Now I have all that data backed up on email. :D I tend to be a tosser so I am a trying to be a little more cautious.

My pay was a little short this last pay. I knew it would be (due to a fee deduction that occurs in Jan), but it was more than double short what I expected. At some point in the year 2014 I had finished deductions to EI and CPP so they were not being deducted any longer (I did not realize this). Now they are being deducted again, since it is a new calendar year, and it appears to be deducted at a higher rate earlier in the year. I prefer stable income, so it drives my nuts when different deductions are taken away at different rates at different times of the year. A few $100 dollars makes a huge difference in our budget biweekly. Needless to say the shortfall is causing me anxiety and DH is gathering up some car work to help make up the difference. I hate starting the year with a blown budget...March fine...but not January!!!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Good Morning Everyone Just finished my morning routine and plan on sorting coupons for 1 hr. Started my first Trade and Wishlist after all these years. I would usually just look at others WL's. DH bought me a cute 10 drawers with multi coloured basket stand for Christmas so this really helps with sorting. I told him he shouldn't have ( As I just use items I find/buy super cheap/am given.etc ) as to save money but he said since I have saved a ton he figured I deserved something new He's a good man Well I'd better giddy up and start sorting. Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a wonderful weekend

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Granger, hope the morning sickness passes quickly, had it for the first four months of all four pregnancies, the exhaustion is still vivid in my memory!
    So sorry about the shortfall in your pay,I need consistency too and those surprises are not fun especially in January.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

afternoon ladies.
    was late waiting for dh last night. so 3am bedtime..
    anyway up a little later. have laundry on the go, dishes are done. waiting for butter to soften to make some banana muffins.
    heading to a crochet circle tonite. can't wait.
    enjoy your day/weekend all.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Granger, the EI rate is the same but the annual insurable earnings amount did increase. Still, inquire about it at work. Also look back at your 2014 pays and see when EI premium stopped being deducted-you proabably will be paying EI for a month or so longer in 2015.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...rt-pf-eng.html
    @SassyAshley-go to the controller and negotiate later morning start time at each site. Safety first and it's not good for you to be driving all over without sufficient rest/travel time. Stick with the dates but say you'll try for a start 1 or 1.5h after opening at each site. If it goes over like concrete, then revise the dates to be off site for training esp. if controller insists on you being at your usual location on someone else's day off. There has to be give and take or this offsite trip is going to go Skype or Powerpoint route.
    Has your Mom gone to the storage unit this week to jot down what's inside so you two can go over the list and make decisions on what to keep and what to sell or have her mouthy friend take for her to the dump? I specify that friend because I'm sure she will bail on your Mom as soon she's asked to help out. The list is to help determine what can fit and what cannot in the house (esp. since you have reclaimed your work area in the house). Controller must have T4s on his mind as they have to go out by Feb. 28, thus the pressure to get training done in January.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Jan 10th, 2015 at 01:55 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Somehow, I'm not seeing the possibility to "like" any of these comments. Please know I DO like your comments! I basically "took the day off". Terrible weather and I am trying to train my dogs to just use the small area near our back door which is sheltered so we can just zip out, do what they need to do and get back in before we freeze. The groomer said that their pads on their feet get as cold as bare hands and to use that as a guide. The poodle learned the lesson really fast. The schnauzer is, I swear, Attention Deficit Disordered. He can get to the point where he's ready and then a bird will chirp and off he goes to investigate. We've been successful twice, though!
    We've been trying to clear all the left-overs out of our fridge - and unfortunately many things had gone "off" as my mother used to say. We're going to have to keep better track of what we put in as "left-overs" and use them more quickly. We're getting another small freezer that goes in the basement which will help. I just have to tidy up so there is room near the plug.
    I have been sending in insurance claims for drugs and trying to "reclaim" money we've already spent. Got caught up with that today, too so. I'm feeling good.
    DH has forewarned me that the next 3 days are all about FOOTBALL so he is not complaining about a night of "Say Yes to the Dress." He usually can't stay in the same room while I watch it!
    I realize I have to start to get organized for INCOME TAX - bleck! I better do it soon, because DH goes in for surgery Feb. 9 and who knows what will be happening after that! Hopefully not like last year when all this started.
    Good to see you back Ashley!
    say yes to the dress AND 3 days all about football

Great job on sending in all your receipts for $ already spent.

My dog has ADHD as well.....squirrel and he forgets I am holding the darn leach....he's such a weirdo
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

saundyl propane is so costly, I am sure it was budgeted for as you are always on top of these things (smart lady)

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

superior propane are the most expensive around here, he are with them both only fill up once a year but once are tanks are empty we are just going to haul our 100lbs to Costco, it's worth the effort & the savings for us. We should be out by approx. March, can't wait and they are so unpleasant to deal with too

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    Good morning, everyone.

I was foolish enough to go out & run an errand yesterday. It started off with lots of sunshine & blue sky. I popped into a store & in less than 5 minutes, it had turned into a raging blizzard. The sn*w was the icy icky kind that makes for a skating rink. Blech. I finished my errands (better to stay inside the stores than venture out into the storm), only to find that the sun was shining again. I think Mother Nature got into the moonshine again.

May or may not be awol for the next few days (having a variety of b-day celebrations, starting with raspberry beer tonight ), so make sure y'all stay warm & happy.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
    Enjoy your birthday celebrations and have a raspberry beer for me sounds interesting

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

saundyl congrats on the Nevada win

Canadian Genius LuvToUseCoupons's Avatar
    Trading Score
    311 (100%)

Hi All,
    Here's wishing everyone a great and wonderful weekend.
    Hope the year is off to a frugal start.
    Stay warm all!

Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information